Old 10-18-2010   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Best time to buy a boat

My kayak handle up to now should be Walter Mitty, as I stylishly boof, brace, and boogie my way down mental rivers. Now I am ready to bring this into the realm of the cold hard real world. So I'll need a boat and beaucoup gear. I've been so tempted by the shiny barely-used craft mentioned on the swap pages, but is it time to pull the trigger? We are almost into the off-season. Should I take some classes first, make sure I'm really into it, and get a boat next year? Will the selection of used boats still be good in the spring? Or maybe even better?
Thanks from a wanna-be.

mateojames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #2
Jenks, Oklahoma

My take is now or even in a few months, is probably a good time to buy as summer boating rush is winding down for folks selling used and for the retailers as well.

On the new designs to be announced next spring, my take is the major kayak manufacture's designs for the last few years have all been good. Which means the new models will most likely be minor tune ups or modifications. Not, major design break thru designs. Which means buying this year's models at a discount is gonna help the pocket book with minor effect on performance.

Bottom line taking a clinic or two and finding out just how you feel about kayaking is a good plan. Deals on boats will probably get better the further we get into the off season. Off season might well depend on where you live. Some Northern boaters might be putting boats in storage while some Southern boaters might boat most if not all of the winter months.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #3
Indian Hills, Colorado
IMHO: best time for a good deal is fall when people are scraping together funds for ski passes and gear or late winter (March/April) when people are cleaning out the garage and looking to trade up their boats.

Best time to sell a boat is May/June when people are looking to upgrade or replace that boat that took a ghost ride. If you know what you think you want, it feels comfortable, is in good shape and a good deal, get it! If it doesn't work out, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid next May/June.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Coming from a retailers perspective, fall and winter are great times to get a good deal on a 2010 boat. If you are looking to get a new boat for less, now is the time. Most retailers are selling off their inventory to make room for the 2011 boats. If you are looking for a 2011 model boat, this winter and early spring is the best time.
Getting into a used boat for your first boat is a great way to go. That way you can have a reasonably priced boat to learn in. You could probably sell it for close to what you purchased it for, and then eventually get a new kayak. By then, you would know exactly what boat you want.
ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote