Old 04-09-2010   #21
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
I found a long way compressor stuff sac at Campmor, I think, slumberjac. Haven't seen any recently. Way better to get in the boat. I double, or tripple if it is a long trip, bag it w a trash bag to keep the down dry. If I am expecting to have a lot of rain, a tent may be in order. Sleeve flashlight is light enough esp w a buddy (wife / gf is best) to split gear with. I have a cheep synth puff jacket to up the comfort lvl for cool rainy weather and extra fleece layers for the drysuit can be slept in.

I tried out the "damp synthetic bag is warmer" crap and while it may be true, it is still freaking cold. Stay dry. My superlight bag has a gore dry loft outer shell which keeps the condensation on the bivy, not in the bag.

ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #22
Durango, Colorado
My setup is: a Mountain Hardwear 40 Lamma synthetic (packs pretty small and is light) bag with a compression stuffsack, sometimes a bivy sack, a Big Agnes insulated air pad 3/4 length (super light and super small) a GoLite Shangri La 3 (pretty light, pretty spacious, and packs to about a football size, and Watershed stow float. I also wear fleece pants and a synthetic pullover (Puffball) for campwear and to sleep in as well.
I think its almost inevitable that your sleeping will get at least a little wet, weather from packing it in and out of the kayak, or condensation, or any number of other things. Therefore, i stay away from down bags. Others pull it off though...

DES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
I just picked up one of these:

Campmor 20 degree down bag. It weighs 2lb 4oz, and only $129. I haven't tried it out yet. I'm skeptical about the quality, but they have a good return policy if it sucks. Has anyone tried one of these? The weight to temp rating to price ratio seems pretty damn good . . . if it actually performs. We shall see...
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #24
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
Campmor Goose Down 20 Degree Mummy Sleeping Bag Regular, 40065 | Sleeping Bags | Sleeping Gear | GEAR | items from Campmor.

There's the link

cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote

bag, kayaking, sleeping bag