Mountain Buzz banner

Best pump for Tributary Tomcat IK?

13K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  raymod2 
#1 ·
Any suggestions for the best pump to use for an (Aire) Tributary Tomcat inflatable kayak? They have that special adaptor that needs to fit with the pump.

#7 ·
K-100 Kpump is probably best choice as it packs easily behind the seat with a few carabiners.

No adapter is needed. The pump nozzle adapter that comes with it fits perfectly in the valve.

That's for the ' old ' tomcat with Halkey Roberts valves. Not sure if they changed the valve on the ' new ' ones.

#8 ·
Bravo foot pump..slightly bulkier than k-pump but cheaper and easier to pump by foot than by hand...comes with multiple sizes of adapter tip....on day trips we'll use the foot pumps at the put in then carry one k- pump on the run for topping off after the tubes shrink...have even just carried the foot pump's hose for topping off by mouth...

#10 ·
Awesome advice!

Thanks all! I see the K200 and the K100 recommended, is there any need for the bigger K200 with a Tandem Tomcat, or is the K100 big enough? Any reason to spring for the K20, or is that only needed for SUPs?

Also, do you guys own/use a pressure gauge? Years ago when I was a guide we just did it all by feel, I never thought to use a gauge.

So many questions coming from hard-shell world...

#13 ·
I'll second the 12v plus kpump setup, though I have several duckies of differing sizes to fill on most trips and the electric pump does the bulk of the work. I have the k-20, and like it quite a bit. It works well for me, having an inflatable SUP and an iK with a drop stitch floor, a tomcat and a lynx, as it plays well with all of them.

If you don't have the need for the higher pressure, then the other pumps would be fine, but for me, I needed the added versitility.

#14 ·
That seems like the best way to go, K-Pump plus a 12v or floor pump, good to know!

I did some research and there seems to be a heated debate about what 12v pump works best. I went into my local shop and they had 3: an NRS, LVM, and a Metro, spanning the $100-$140 range.

Not trying to bring up old debates in this thread, but I was curious what kind of 12v you have? Did you go cheap or get one of these better brand ones?

Thank you!!

#15 ·
Go cheap. I've had mine 5 - 10 years and it is still working great.

Airhead 12V Air Pump | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

Since it is low pressure, I have to have the valve in the boat open, then pull the pump away and close the valve somewhat quickly. then, for my IK, 30 pumps in each chamber with the K-Pump and it's ready to go.

It can also be used to fully deflate the chambers if desired and is handy for Pool Toys, Boat towable tubes, etc.

#17 ·
Ditto, mine was just a $20 Coleman that I picked up at walmart. You get good at closing the vales when the pump's max psi is reached. I don't use any adapters with it. Just hold it flush to the valve and fill until air stops going in. I use it on summit 2, leafield b7 and c7 valves.
You can get several of the cheap ones for the cost of the expensive ones. I've had mine for 3 or 4 years I think.

#20 ·
Just open the valve (ie. on a Tomcat push in the stem and turn to lock it open). Then hold the nozzle of the blower over the valve. You don't need a tight fit. In fact it will inflate quickly even with the blower held an inch away from the valve. When the bladder is full close the valve and then top it off with a hand or foot pump to get the desired pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.