Old 09-12-2012   #1
"Brown Ball!"
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2010
Best Dry top and Spray Skirt

I have been yaking a Jackson for 2 years, just got the roll and it is now time to invest in some cold weather gear. I was wondering what the best reasonable dry top is for a lady such as myself and if a Lucky Charm spray skirt from Immersion is worth 90 dolla. Also do I splurge for the IRS Neoprene waterproof gloves?
Thank for your friendly advice in advance.

PhatKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #2
Grand Junction, Colorado
Well is depends on how cold your talking NRS makes well priced tops if you want the best go kokatat. IR makes fine skirts. if your in winter weather id save up for a drysuit period also gloves are alright but id get pogies first, gloves tend to make it so you have to grab the paddle with more clinch and when they get wet the evaporative cooling is terrible and it will make you trip miserible the pogies give you contact to your paddle while keeping your hands free from wind chill and keep your hands nice and toasty even if u get water in them one of my favorite pieces of gear Hot Hands Pogie - Snap Dragon

Ive gone threw alot of gloves before i tried pogies and hands down gloves suck in my opinion try them you wont be disappointed. my 2cents

flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #3
behind your mom, Colorado
My sweet drytop is awesome and a lot cheaper than the rogue. Big fan of the special K sprayskirt too. A lot more dry then my bomber.
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Kokotat Gore-tex with the Mountain Surf Dur-O-Ring (can't get it anymore). Totally bone dry. I second the pogies for overall warmth, but I like the dexterity you get from a "good" pair of gloves. I have definitely tried more gloves that I dislike then like, but these are the best I have used: NRS Reactor Rescue Gloves at

$90 for a Lucky Charm is a pretty good price.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #5
Grand Junction, Colorado
oh yea and if you want extra layering you can have gloves inside your pogies! extra warm boom!
Old 09-13-2012   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Kokatat Rogue Gore-Tex top, Seals Pro-Randed Kevlar skirt
To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #7
Grand Junction, Colorado
I love seals skirts and they're customer service!
Old 09-13-2012   #8
Vail, Colorado
Sweet Shadrach and IR Lucky Charm or KlingOn. As long as you take care of them you will have dry, burly gear for many years to come.
Get POGIES! Its all personal preference, Gloves are warmer than pogies but pogies keep the paddle grip you are used to. If you do go pogies, look for something that you can get your hand into without using your teeth to pull it on. I pity the poor fool who chips a tooth pulling their pogies on
elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #9
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I like the NRS toaster mitts. Mittens mean that each of your fingers are together and they stay warm. You don't have the ability to use your hands the same way as gloves, but they are warm!

I think both Snap Dragon and IR skirts are great, just make sure you are getting one that correctly fits your boat's cockpit. They make a variety of sizes (not just the size that fits you, but the size that fits the boat)

Lots of great dry gear out there. Kokatat gore-tex seems to be the consensus, it's the best, but also highly recommended are Sweet Protection and Immersion Research. I use an NRS dry-top when I'm not using my kokatat drysuit, and while people tend to hate on NRS, it does a pretty good job. When it wore out, NRS was awesome with their customer service in getting me a new one.

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #10
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I have the nrs titanium waterproof gloves an have had no problems in the cold. That being said it wasn't very cold this year. Just my two on the subject but dry is nice

huck_finn is offline   Reply With Quote