Old 02-04-2013   #11
Vancouver, B.C.
Paddling Since: 2009
I paddle a bliss stick huka, really like their plastic and the boat boofs like a dream. Tuna looks sick, want to try one in the near future for sure.

TheSkookumchucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #12
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
For your size I would lean towards a Nomad 8.5, a Stomper 90 or a large Burn (you might want to look at the Shiva and Karma as well).
You reallt think I would need something that big? Always thought I was a Medium or 8.0 size.

livin_tll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #13
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I'm 5'9" and 170 an I love the nomad 8.5. I raised the seat and fit it right and I have no trouble getting around. I've tried other boats but keep going back to it as my favorite.
Peelsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #14
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by livin_tll View Post
You reallt think I would need something that big? Always thought I was a Medium or 8.0 size.
Perhaps not, I'm sure the Nomad 8.0, Stomper 80 or Burn Med. would fit you fine, but I know several people your size that paddle the larger versions and are glad they have the extra volume. Ideally you should at least sit in each of them if not do some demos....
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #15
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm close to your size, (6'3, 185), and have paddled a fair amount of creek boats in my day, (Nomad, Jefe, Jefe Grande, Stomper 90, Mamba, Rocker, Super Hero, Everest, Burn, Salto, Diesel, Habitat, Remix 69 & 79 and even the Freefall LT). While you might fall into the weight range of the medium sizes in most boats out there, your height will be your limiting factor.

Depending on what you plan on doing with the boat too, size will affect your choice too. If you want a boat that is just higher volume to help you gain confidence on some harder local runs, the medium sizes might be fine. On the other hand, if you are planning on seriously stepping up your level of boating to class IV-V, consider the extra weight (break down paddle, bigger throw bag, first aid kit, extrication/unpin kit, repair kit etc.) you will be carrying in your boat along side your throw bag, water and a small dry bag.

Like has been mentioned before, go to your local boat shop, check out what they have in stock, sit in a few different models (both sizes if you can), try and demo on each if you can and finally make your decision from there.

Best of luck
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #16
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Thanks for the sizing info! I'll def keep that in mind and try to get in a couple of em.
Old 02-05-2013   #17
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Some really good advice on sizing. I'd add that there tends to be a bit of a trade-off on sizing and you might consider how that relates to you. Small boats tend to be more maneuverable and take less energy to get them where you want them to go, to boof, etc. However, if you're a strong paddler, you can harness a lot more speed and momentum out of larger boat and keep it on the surface more. So if you're the type that forgets your girlfriend's number and leaves the dirty dishes stacked up on the coffee table when the water starts flowing, you might tend toward a larger boat. If you're the type that goes boating only when you see the sun come out and your mountain biking buddy cancels on you, tend toward a smaller boat. Some of it's personal preference as well, but the general trend is going larger on creekboat sizing. If you have overnighters planned on difficult water, that's a very compelling reason for a larger boat.

Anyway, I can't say what's definitively best, but some boats that would be at the top of my list for consideration:

Karma M: I paddled this recently for a number of days straight and it's an awesome boat - some redefinition in sidewall/edge design and rocker profile (among other things) make it stand out over older designs. I could even paddle a L, but M is probably better all around (I weigh 5-10# less than you).

Stomper 90: have not paddled, but gets rave reviews from aggressive boaters and some sim. design characteristics to the Karma.

Nomad 8.5 - currently paddling this and it's a classic for a reason - solid all around design. Don't get the 8.0 at your size.

Recon (83? 93?) - have not paddled, but I loved the Habitat 80, so my money says I'd like this one.

Prijon Pure XL - paddled this one a little bit and despite thinking I wouldn't like it, it felt really good - fast with great rocker and maneuverability. Wish the outfitting was a little more streamlined, but main draw is the almost indestructible plastic.

The good thing is there's lots of great creekboats out there right now. I'd make sure you've got something that you can sit in comfortably for hours and that has a stellar warranty policy (because creekboats break).
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #18
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #19
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Bazooka Medium. Fast, nimble, stores like a champ.
To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #20
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Someone mentioned getting a boat with a good warranty. So, what companies have good warranties? And the LL stomper 90 is 90 gallons?! That just seems huge.