Old 05-12-2009   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Agree with KSC, NRS attack shoes are pretty weak. Sole is too thin, and pointy rocks hurt, grip was slippery as well.

I just got a pair of the 5.10 canyoneers and so far I like them. My requirements were 1) excellent traction on wet rock, 2) good sole to handle pointy rocks with no problem, 3) ankle protection for portage / scout, and 4) good enough to hike in.

The canyoneers fit all those requirements and are by far the best wet rock traction I have seen.

The downside of the canyoneers is that they are big. They look like I am wearing some puffy 80's NBA hightop shoe. I had to change my outfitting to fit them in the boat, and its still pretty damn tight.

If the canyoneers were just a notch smaller, they would be almost perfect for boating.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #12
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Perhaps the better question is:

What's the best booty to drink your beer out of at the end of the day?

P.S. I'm totally getting a river-karma beat-down for that one

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #13
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
Have the NRS Desperado Sock for the playboat and the Attack shoes for the riverunner and the creekboat.

The desperado sock truly isn't much more than a sock. It's got a thin insole and thin, flat (no-tread) rubber on the sole. It's good for what it is. Gives your foot some protection but that's about it. Typical NRS quality so I'm expecting to get maybe two seasons at the most.

The attack shoe has been pretty good. It's also typical of everything NRS seems to do: mediocre. Not great. Not terrible. I haven't used it as much as the sock but it seems to be holding up. I ordered the stiffer insoles that you can buy for them. Since I had the space in there I'm actually running both insoles. That may be why I'm not really noticing stepping on rocks or maybe they're improved from a few seasons ago. Traction is ok but not great. My Teva P2's were better for that. We recently did Zion narrows which was about a six hour in & out of boat hike, drag and slog and they did well for that.

I really liked my Teva P2's that I had before these. They were more of a bootie. Kind of in between the attack and the desp. sock. They held up fairly well with really good grip. The only bad thing about them was the open split toe. I understand the concept for traction but they need to lose that. It could kind of dig in toes while you're in the boat sometimes but the worst part was while hiking. It would gather tall grass and stuff between there. I think they stopped the P2. My friend got the P1 sock for his playboat but they came unstitched quickly. They did have a closed split toe. Teva should bring back the P2 with just a regular front. No split.
If I were looking to buy something just for creeking I think I'd go with 5.10 canyoneer II. I've got a few friends with those and they are pretty damn cool. They seem to have the best traction out there. They are big and they are expensive ($130). But they seem to be the best thing around. I'm going to check out the new Teva Avatar2 before I make a decision though.

I agree with deepsouth- if 5.10 would make a true kayak bootie it would probably be the sickest thing available
I was going to be vague but then I decided to do this other thing.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #14
Indian Hills, Colorado
the keen booties are comfortable for sure, but they are based on a bootie with a beefed up sole. they dont grip to well on wet rocks and the plastic buckles are weak. i have not tried the new teva shoes but they look bomber. more of a shoe though. i think the keens are the best booty type and the teva look to be a good option for a shoe.
Jace Crane
720 290 0499
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #15
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
The attack shoe does indeed suck ass. The desperado sock sucks possibly more ass(for anything other than playboating)'s a sock...not really what i'd like my friends to be wearing if i'm in a pin and they're tip-toeing around the banks cause of some pointy rocks when seconds matter. For creeking/river running get something with some traction, sturdy lug and a sturdy sole for portaging, hiking, running, rescue,etc..

I've got the teva avators new this season, used them about thirty days so far and they are frickin fantastic. I know a few others using them that really like them too. I'm about 99% sure i'll be gettin another pair when these burn out.

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote