Old 02-09-2014   #1
cape may, New Jersey
Best blade type for play boating?

I know blades come down to personal preference and style but there is always a base best. I see the advantages of a larger blade for great power for initiating moves and really contacting motion to the water. But I see where a small blade that will allow more agility and and ability to slice threw the water for a brace without the resistance of surface area. But still have enough control for getting the power for move initiation.

I also feel that no mater the style a stiffer lighter blade is defiantly the all around best option. But I would be interested to hear other opinions from more seasoned boaters.

Personally I have been thinking around the double diamond bent shaft but am still playing with the idea of some AT advanced.

homeworld8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #2
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I paddle with the Werner Double Diamond and really like it. AT just didn't feel right to me. But I think they are both good paddles just a personal preference. I use it for play boating and river running. In saying that tho - my play boating sucks but it surely not the paddle.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #3
Liverpool, England
Paddling Since: 2011
I have been using the Werner players in the carbon layup, I would
say they are excellent as they are the lightest paddle I've ever felt.
Plus they have lasted me along time

Cheers Sam
jacksonkayaksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

I like holding wood.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #5
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post

I like holding wood.
Excellent! I'm not a play boater but my son has managed to throw a few quality tricks. Here are a few thoughts. Jim Snyder's blades are a neutral shape, flat. He calls them trik style. No scoop etc. When you're playboating you are not just using the "power" face of the blade. The scooped shape comes from slalom and the idea of maximizing the forward stroke. It's not efficient for much of what you are doing when playboating. Also, with more sophisticated tricks, sliding strokes become part of what you're doing. The flat, neutral shape slides better.

Bent shafts dictate hand placement. That is not necessarily a good thing when range of motion and position is a big part of what you are looking for.

Size of blades... IMO, bigger isn't better. Technique is waay more important than power with tricks. If you end up playing in a big hole, you are trying to manage too much energy, you don't want more blade. Also, a little smaller will be easier on your body.

Dustin Kayak Reviews & Kayaks for Sale | Dustin Urban has been paddling with Jim's paddles for well over 10 years. His feel and technique are legendary, no wonder he uses Jim's stix. Last year Jason Craig converted to Jim's paddles. He too, is a master of technique and nuance on the rio.

Finally, these paddles are super tough and verrry beautiful.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #6
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Consider Core Paddles as well. I really like mine and I am very play boating centric. I had a chance to side by side it with a at2 sl and a Werner player, the swing weight is so much less making you so much faster. For me I can never go back. Was just on the river today with it.

eklars is offline   Reply With Quote