Old 08-10-2012   #11
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Liquid Logic Remix 69 or Remix XP 10
Congrats on starting. I hope I am still boating at your age.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #12
Staghorn Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011

Yes, its the Remix 69 I'm going to demo. The thing about the XP10 is it feels big on me, even using Sweet Cheeks, so I want to try an XP9 to see how the difference feels.

Question: It looks like I'm below the upper weight limit for the Remix 59 and its lesser weight appeals for hefting it around. But would that boat not handle as well for me if I'm near the upper weight limit? I.e., it'd be lower in the water so how much would that ding its handling for a geezer.

BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #13
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Congrats BCxp on wanting to keep paddling. I sometimes feel as though I am always the older one in my group (for sure out of the women anyways.) I started at 50 - am 55 now. You inspire me...I hope to keep improving for a few years anyways. The Jackson boats are definately the easiest to roll of all the boats I've been in...and I've tried many, but in saying that I ended up in a Pyranha Burn for my creek boat. I love it but it is not the easiest to roll boat I've ever been in. I don't recommend it for you. My playboat is a Jackson Star - very easy to roll this one.
The best investment would be to learn a good roll. It will really boost your confidence. I recently graduated to class 4 runs and took a couple of swims earlier this year. I bought the Jackson "Learn to roll" video and it has really changed everything for me. It is a simple method...not technical and you don't need to be overly flexible to be good at it.
I just got back from Idaho, playboating a Kelly's WW Park and running rivers in the area...NO swims!!! and Yes I got flippped alot.
Have fun and I hope you enjoy many years of paddling
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #14
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Suggestion one: Go to pool rolling sessions. Go with somebody knowledgeable. Life on the river will be much more fun with confidence in your roll.
Suggestion two: Get a big stable river running boat. That will help you master the moves on the river. A big expedition boat is too much work, IMHO.
Suggestion three: Have fun.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Have you looked at the few glass boats that are available? I think most are play boats but all are super light weight. Jackson makes a carbon/Kevlar Allstar. Not a true downriver boat, but could give you an important strength to weight ratio advantage.
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #16
Paddling Since: 96
Hey, I don't remember meeting but that means nothing.

I think the flat bottom of the Zen will give you more primary stability and it allows easier course correction than a more displacement type hull like the Remix. You can set an edge and really carve with it (the Zen) though. That being said, I'm a big fan of displacement hulls and the elegant carved lines you can get with them. I just think the flat bottom has more primary stability and the ease of course correction is a big factor in technical stuff. Your observation about the softer chines being more user friendly is probably true but the Zen's aren't super aggressive and you'll need to learn to manage your edges no matter what you paddle. IMO, the stability of a flat bottom is more important.

Yeah, Maine and South Main are both great. I'm happy to call both places home.

I spend almost no time in the playpark but yeah there are some geezers down there, some of them friends of mine. Some pretty good young pups too.

I don't know about your weight and the Remix 59. I tend to like a bigger boat that keeps me on the surface.

I agree with Brenda about a solid roll though mine could use a little work right now...

As far as weight of boats goes... I don't think a glass boat makes sense for river running in CO. and I definitely don't think a carbon fiber, cutting edge, playboat (the Star series) is what you need. I mostly paddle an 8.5 Nomad with gear in the stern and it weighs a ton. I have a back and a knee that I'm doing my best to save for as many years as possible. Consequently, I drag my boat whenever I can which is most of the time. After several hundred runs, and drags, I finally wore a hole in the stern of my last one. My body is worth it. Something like the Zen is much lighter. The Zen 65 is #40. The 8.5 Nomad is #49 but feels heavier than that to me and then you add in my gear...

Anyway, there's some feedback for you. Hardly the last word but hope you find it useful.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #17
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful advice.

Brenda &Sarah: I agree pool rolling classes are great and I've had a couple. But the closest to here is a 4-hour drive (8 hrs. round trip!) which is a drag for keeping in practice in a pool. But I'm thinking staying a few days there and getting the handle would be a good investment. Agreed re the expedition boats. I think the XP/Rogue/Fusion have their places definitely, and the versatility of an XP 10 can be useful, but for where I want to go next, getting into a pure WW boat makes sense.

I'm not really in favor of anything but plastic for a WW boat. I'm a rock magnet (sometimes intentionally for fun) so need the advantages of plastic.

Phil, great points. It was pretty hectic at PF. I even have to drag my tourer occasionally. Preserving the body becomes increasingly a challenge, too, so better to drag than ache.

Again, thanks to all. Its looking like its time to demo a Zen 65 and a Remix 69/59.

Does anyone have experience with Jackson's Uni-Shock bulkhead? Does it hold up? Does it work as advertised? Is it fairly easy to pull it out to put baggage up forward? Does it it adjust as easy as it sounds?

Old 08-13-2012   #18
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by BCxp View Post
Does anyone have experience with Jackson's Uni-Shock bulkhead? Does it hold up? Does it work as advertised? Is it fairly easy to pull it out to put baggage up forward? Does it it adjust as easy as it sounds?

I've never pitoned and needed the unishock to save my ankles but it does hold up and it is very easy to pull out the foot braces to stuff gear up front.

BTW I've had a Zen since March and I love it, coming from a Hero it's a welcome change in speed and holding a line
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #19
Thanks, Jens. Glad to hear about the Zen. That's number 1 on my demo list. Going to try it out next week in the playpark at Salida. And that's god news about the UniShock.
Old 09-24-2012   #20
Just wanted to let you guys know I got a Zen 75. Have three Class 1 and II+ runs on it and love it.

Here's what I think of it:

The Jackson Kayak Zen Review