Old 02-13-2011   #21
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
With my boat setup duct tape around the cardboard packaging works well for me, because I just put them in my drop bag. Splashing keeps them cool.

One year I had a lot of beer, so I used an old dry bag and strapped it onto my back board.

Going down GC again soon; already thinking about what beer brands to buy.

I like the keg idea, but might not trust that the tap would not develop a problem.

I sacrificed a couple of milk crates, too, to make lids for my crates. I used the zips to also extend the crate wall lengths as needed.

David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #22
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The bottoms of old crates seem like the perfect lid. Does anyone have a trick for cutting them?

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #23
Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
If plastic, use a power saw.
rhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #24
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by rhigh View Post
I'm not the TL so I can't make any promises, but if you're one of the individuals actually doing the keg stands in the photos, I'll put in a good word for you.
I make lids for milk crates by cutting the bottom off another milk crate. attach with zip ties.
I am doing the keg stand in the first one and Morgan is in the second one (she's not a buzzard, but a bartender our TL picked up like a week before the trip- cool chic). Thanks, but I can't return to the Grand this summer anyway with school and Idaho rivers going on.

As for the tap- take 2.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #25
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
That link on the keg was dead. Any ideas because a keg on a river trip without the foam is such a great idea.
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #26
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
I keep my cans of beer in a navy sea bag,the kind without a zipper. The wet canvas helps keep it cool, then at camp I put some in a drag bag.That worked well on the Grand.I also was able to find beer floating down the river (someone must have relied on duct tape) This method also hides your cash from the thirsty river guides that never seem to have there own beer
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #27
Southern, Illinois
Paddling Since: 2005
Summer of 2009 I did the Grand. Drag bags are great. Just bring more than one. We lost two that trip.
catchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #28
Has anyone ever tried something like this?
Propane Cooler :: 3 way power - 1.2 cubic foot propane cooler
This is more for an August Deso/Gray trip when the water temp is 80+ degrees and dragging is less than ideal. I am thinking you could cool off 2+ shifts of 40 - 50 cans each at camp each night and then put them cold on ice for the next day. Thow the cooler in a dry bag and move to the next camp. The Dometic fridge in my pop up camper uses very little propane so that would probably not be an issue. It might beat having 5 coolers for beer only....but you have to do what you have to do for cold beer.
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #29
TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by topbud View Post
That link on the keg was dead. Any ideas because a keg on a river trip without the foam is such a great idea.
you have several things working against you as far as heat and pressure go. i worked for a brewery for a few years and know a little about this.

direct sunlight on a keg is bad, ambient temp around a keg (on a boat) is bad as well... especially after introduced to pressurized gas (boyle's law).

if you do the small 5 gallon kegs, and tap one a day, or every other day, AND keep them out of the sun during the day, ANNNND keep them in the river after they have been tapped, you could minimize foaming. (hand pumping with a picnic pump would work fine for this)

your other option is to run the beer through a coil or a coldplate that is in direct contact with ice (or even the river), and push the beer with Co2 (requires a regulator). this is more complicated, as the gas bottle has to be regulated (out of sunlight), as does the beer.

ive taken a jockey box on a river trip before... march westwater, and it wokred fine because it was somewhat cool during the nights.

After you push beer with Co2, you cannot push it with a hand pump, though.

just some thoughts. The biggest challenge is keeping the keg cold.

The end.
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #30
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Two words: evaporative cooling

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote