Old 10-04-2011   #31
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Hey lets all put the gun down.

There is a market for Saturns because people can't afford to or don't want to pay a lot for a boat. My first boat was a Momentum, sold it to a friend, and its still going but of course has issues where the material is starting to peel apart (eww, glue) has a few small leaks after 10 years of use. Still no patches yet. At the time I weighed my options and bought a floor demo for $1800 instead of the $3000 for an Aire.

There is a market for Aires, Maravias, Sotars for people who want to buy a boat designed and built domestically by companies that have an investment in the whitewater industry and can make a good product and a comfortable living while supplying jobs to our economy.

the fact that resale on a Saturn is $600 probably tells you something.

I personally choose to go only with the domestic built boats. There is a good reason that when I sell my Aire cataraft in another 5 years that I'm probably going to get close to what I paid for it ...

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #32
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Yep...that has everything to do with rafting.
Shouldn't you be posting on some political forum?

J. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #33
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
Originally Posted by soylent green View Post
I think all the gapers that don't have an interest in Saturn or own one should STFU! Don't drop in on this thread to push your own agenda. I'm still looking at a Saturn because it seems like a good deal.
"Gapers" - A term usually used by a non-native "shredder" (see also - "Brobrah") within minutes of moving to the Colorado mountains.

I have owned a Saturn. I have repaired a Saturn. I have seen the inside/guts of a Saturn. The material is a joke, the valves are dog-shit (that one's for you Slave) and if you walk on the floors long enough with sand caked on your shoe you will wear a hole in it.

Are they worth the MSRP? In my opinion, no. Is it worth the money to pick one up for $600 bucks and get on the river, yes.

And, to answer your, I am not a native. But I also don't go around calling people Gapers.
Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #34
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
The reality is that we all do indeed buy imported goods at least occasionally. It's almost impossible not to with how everything is intertwined--from the typical 401k, to the cars we drive.

That said, I do think that if we consciously try to buy more locally made large purchases--it could help a bit. Thing is, how many tv's and so forth are made here? Smartphones? They announced the new release of the i-phone 4S today--are you buying one, do you own any other cell/smart phone? Where are they bullt? On many purchases we have no real control over where they are made. US corporations many times build them where it's cheap to build to maximize profits. Who benefits the most from the many US corporations who choose to manufacture there products overseas? Answer: the wealthiest 3 percent...and hopefully your 401K.

There obviously is a market for Chinese made boats (Mexican and Korean as well), most of these folks can't justify paying the premium that American made boat makers have to charge, for a variety of reasons--usually though, because they can't afford them. At least they can get on a river.

Realize though, that the mess that we're in economically is far more complicated than preaching from a pulpit about how that if we all buy exclusively 'Amercan", we'll somehow turn this thing around quickly.

Instead of kicking a foreign raft buyer around, why not kick a ceo around? While your at it, give yourself a kick too--for electing the politicians who go down on them for padding their war chests...

And shappattack, this is not directly in response to your post--I agree with much of what you state.

Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
I don't know, how is your 401k doing right now? Do you think the solution to the economy is to have every last thing made overseas for us to import. Yes, everyone could afford everything then, but without a job, then you can afford nothing. Every thing is connected. The closer the connections are to your home, the more sustainable is the future. This discussion is so much more than Aire vs Saturn. This typifys the change in the American way/attitude. It used to be work hard and eventually you can get what you want. Now the ethic is, I want/deserve everything now without the work.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #35
Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I have a Saturn, I am on the water, life is good. If someone does not want to share a beer or a groover with me cause my boat, then they can keep there head up there ass and float on by.
water logged 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #36
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
so much negativity sucks. For all you all american out there, everything you own is made in America? all the plastics you use, all of your silly little plastic bags and dry bags and all that crap. I bust my ass with you, work hard, play hard, but I am on the river and life is good. Look at the things you own, are they all american? What vehicle are you driving and where are all the components made? I like my saturn. I worked hard for it. Sometimes you all are so negative it really turns me away from these forums.
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #37
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
You mean pushing the american healthy economic agenda? I am pushing your agenda unless you are an illegal immigrant. The great part about America is I don't have to STFU
You missed the point Shap. I'm just saying that is not what this thread is about. Take it to the correct forum.
I peed in your pool. Yayyyyy!
soylent green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #38
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
There is a place for saturns. if you are in school and want to spend a week on the river for $1000 this is a good way to go. this 13' held up nicely on the MFS at low water.

If you are a professional with the $$ then get a nicer boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	311911_10150478738674692_601814691_11246408_962294231_n.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	4045  

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote