Old 01-02-2013   #21
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Sam, thanks, I used
Watts filter system

The filter that used to come with this system guaranteed removal of all organisms and deactivated viruses with a chemical then removed the chemical with charcoal. It worked great almost a reverse osmosis system. The filter plugged and was not field serviceable, then became unavailable.

So I replaced the final filter with
Doulton Imperial Sterasyl OBE (Open Both Ends)
Field serviceable with a green scrub pad. and absolute .9 micron the absolute thing is very important. (I was wrong on my original post thought it was a .5 it will still remove cysts and bacteria.)

The battery will filter 100 gallons on a single charge its an 18 amp hour SLA battery by mk battery 12V18-AH/20HR

JonasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #22
hey sleighr, I'd offer my aluminum or steel welding services for free to fabricate your frame. I was planning on making a similar filter so Ill probably copy your specs and make a second one for my use.I'm in Ft Collins CO so shipping shouldn't be too much. let me know if I can help.

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #23
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Since ditch water has a lot of suspended particles, and i dont know where you will find clear tributaries or springs, you might wanna read this thread

Flocculant for settling water. Any chem majors out there?
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #24
Just got back from the grand 25 days on the
River. No problem finding tributary water. I can
Send a list of springs/water sites if need be. We never
Had to use the alum we brought along.
Old 01-03-2013   #25
don't bogart that
Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Floculant for water settling

Four Corners river sports now sells a kit with the right floculant to use in front of filtration, it is a NSF certified chemical and 100 ml will do between 250 and 500 gallons of clarified water.
rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #26
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
The guy I went on my first trip was in the habit of taking several five gallon buckets along. As soon as he got to camp, fill the buckets. I have never used alum either. even filtering water that started out pretty filthy looking. I don't see any welding to be done, the one we borrowed for my last run the filters bolted to a hunk of plywood to keep them from rattling around in there, that was about it. Battery was a gel cell in a plastic case. Take the lid off the case and hook up the leads and you are pumping. strap the lid back on and if it ends up on it's head, no blood no foul.
sleighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #27
flagstaff, Arizona
OK, called Doulton today. The lovely Ms Lisa recommended I call the manutacturer they buy from, descibe my application and see if they had a better recommendation. James reccomended their w 9620700. It is a carbon impregnated ceramic with silver. Field servicable with a green scotchbrite. I bought a prefilter, the main filter, cases, and replacements for both filters. The pre filter in case I pack it full, the post filter in case I drop it on a rock. The main filter is exactly as you described your as your original Jonas, you add bleach first, kill everything, filter out the bodies and bleach.
Thanks again one and all for your input. This rig is not going to be pretty, but I am not going to have any more in it that one trips rent on a katadyne.
Old 01-05-2013   #28
Saw this unit on the grand last month. Using plywood? A few bucks of aluminum
Will give you a longer lasting package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	894.7 KB
ID:	5443  
Old 01-05-2013   #29
flagstaff, Arizona
Well, you are making a good case... The first unit I ever saw was from an outfitter in Flag. They don't even take it off the boat. Leaving that image behind, would it be possible to squash the filters a little closer together and have room for a spare battery at the opposite end of the one in your image? In May with a dozen or so folks I am seeing pumpin a bunch of water. It looks as though they even put a switch in the design to avoid alligator clip issues. Looking at that image, all a person would really need is a brake yes? No welding required. Very cool.
Old 01-05-2013   #30
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by JonasJ View Post
DOWN SIDE, I have found the battery don't store well after 3 years need replaced.
Pretty unusual to get more than 7-8 years from ANY battery even when frequently charged. Still, that would be 2.5x what you've gotten.

Battery trickle chargers are as little as $5 (Chicom from harbor freight) to $25, which is cheaper than a single replacement. Use them on all your seasonal toy batteries. You could charge for a month, move the trickle to another battery for a month, then back. Or buy several trickle chargers.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote