Old 06-27-2010   #1
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
battery plus blast success

Don't know why I didn't try this sooner but we blew up three rafts at needleton yesterday with juice to spare. battery is a 14 amp gel motorcycle battery. I called NRS and they said the blast draws 4 amps. both fit nicely in ammo can and does not weigh much at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_pump.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	2806   Click image for larger version

Name:	rafts.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	2807  

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010   #2
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I build something very similar 3 years ago. I looked into a moto battery, but decided on an AGM battery. Most car and motorcycle batteries are sealed lead acid. While these work just fine they are old technology. AGM batteries have the ability to be completely drained and left drained and retain little 'memory'. Lead acid batteries will suffer quite a bit the first time they are drained past about 12 volts, and when recharged never have the capacity to get to original strentgth. Once a lead acid battery is drained several times it is useless.

Another great thing about AGM batteries is that some dont ever have to be filled with water, they can be jostled quite a bit (rapids, trailering, etc) can be sideways, upside down, etc and work just fine. They cost quite a bit more though.

My set up is a .50 ammo can with a 36 AH battery, w/ cigarette lighter receptacle, optional inverter, voltage regulator, and charge controller. I've had this thing for 3 years with no problems. I can run lights, music, sprayers, and inflators, none of this is essential, but a power mister on cataract in July is pretty badass! Depending on your use I'd recommend an AGM battery from the shop next to yours if yours isn't already. A charge controller is also a worthy investment if you are charging off an outboard or cheap battery charger as it will prevent irreversible damage to your battery.

Either way nice work, beats pumping 3 boats!

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010   #3
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
coleman blower

I just bought a coleman rechargeable blower from wal mart for 29 bucks. It blew up a 16' cat, two 14' rafts and an IK with power to spare.
swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote