Old 05-23-2016   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
B2 vs. Burn 3?

I am interested in getting a used burn but the one I found is a second gen. I was wondering if folks who have used both can say if it's worth looking for the 3 and paying more or if the differences are small enough to take a good deal.

For reference I'm a class 4 boater who spends more time playboating than river running.

jmjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
This doesn't directly answer your question but I've paddled a B1 and B2 and can offer the following...B1 was faster and more precise, but less forgiving. B2 was "de-tuned" slightly. B2 was slightly easier to boof with more rocker. Honestly, i prefer my cracked, taped and trashed B1 to my B2 and am in the market for a new boat. Also, my Burns have always seemed hard to roll relative to other boats.

Despite the huge number of Burns in Colorado, I feel like they are more of a big-water Class V boat, which is exceedingly rare here. I suggest demoing a few boats with displacement hull. The Shiva looks like a good ticket if you like the sporty feel of pyhranas.

Also...that avitar is a B2...landing shaved an inch off my height from only 15 feet or so...another vote for displacement hulls.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have paddled and owned all 3 generations and the newest is definitely the best. Volume in the right places, more rocker. Fast acceleration and much smoother boofing. Sits a little higher in the water than the Burn 2 and rides a little more stable. Not necessarily better for surfing, but it will still shred a mean wave.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks Dan and Logan!

I think the sitting higher, speed and tracking sound like they are worth it. I think the burn would be good for most all the stuff I run, but I am interested in a shiva too. I think the burn makes sense for where I'm at and my skill level, with hopefully finding a good used shiva someday as I move into tighter more vertical runs.
jmjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #5
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
I feel like they are more of a big-water Class V boat, which is exceedingly rare here.
I agree. Its hard beat the shiva or nomad in smaller rivers and creeks.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #6
Steamboat, Colorado
I have a second generation and I love it. Really, we're having an affair... please don't tell my boyfriend.
Sad part is I'd trade it for a third generation if I had the chance
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #7
Pollock pines, California
Paddling Since: 1999
depends on what you're looking for

I've found the new burn to be a little more forgiving than the 2nd gen. The edges are tucked up a bit more and are detuned a bit, so you won't experience the window shade as much as you may in the 2nd gen. The 2nd gen was an awesome boat as long as you were on your game, but the second you would let up on harder stuff, it'd remind you that it was not a forgiving boat. The 2nd feels a little more nimble at times, but the new burn is still plenty nimble. I would feel comfortable running hard stuff in either boat, but if you are looking for a boat that is a little more on the forgiving side, the new burn may service you a little better. If you don't mind the more aggressive ride and love the race ski feel, the 2nd gen is a killer boat. Let me know if I can answer any more questions

Ian Janoska
team Pyranha

Ian Janoska is offline   Reply With Quote