Old 01-31-2013   #1
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
"Attic Dek" for side decking?

Poking around online I found a new product to potentially use as a side deck for short spans.

Attic Dek

Its available online only from home depot and lowes, at least around here. Made for decking the rafters in attic spaces. It says they support up to 250lbs and span 16 or 24". I'm sure they could be cut and shaped easily. It might be a nice alternative to ply and stronger and lighter then trex. Also you wouldn't have to reinforce it like polymax. Anyone have experience with the stuff? I'm still thinking through the attachments before I pull the trigger.

OregonRafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #2
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
250lb if supported on 24" centers. But how much weight can a 8" wide strip support?

I was in HD the other day. Surprised how much sag and warpage there was in the trex

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #3
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Yep. Plus composit decking needs minimum 3 supports. I'm looking to span 15 and 20 inch spans between rails. But your right, at 8" wide this decking will probably lose it's strength if used as a side deck.

Another use for the attic deck I just thought of is the front decking over a bay. Line them side by side and cut to the width you need. Then run a couple tubing runners lengthwise to tie them together attach with some stainless steel hardware. Keep the runners inside the frame rails and let the decking rest directly on the frame cross rails, just like the product was designed to do. Boom. You have a custom platform to your specs. Super lightweight, no staining, self draining, easy to run straps through, more stout then polymax, for $50-60 bucks. Add some table legs that stow flush inside the runners and you'd have a nice little river table.

I like what some of you guys have done with polymax, but have been looking for something more sturdy. This might be a good alternative.
OregonRafter is online now   Reply With Quote