Old 06-13-2008   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
AT2 or Double Diamond ?

I hear the DD is more durable but what about feel and performance?

"Dying ain't much of a livin" - The Outlaw Josse Whales
cokayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #2
pnw, Washington
I would say that you are right the werner is more durable. The rest is simply personal choice. I tried both and bought the DD.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I tried out somebody's Werner full carbon blade and it was a bit stiff for my tastes. I agree about questionable AT durability.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #4
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Huh, I beat the crap out of my at and havenít had a problem (4th season).. It definitely is a feel thing, Werner always felt weird in my hands so.
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #5
Mike Leeds
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1997
i have paddled with AT paddles for 8 or 9 years now and have broken 2. I think that they paddle the best! I am very happy with mine. I would like to get a new one though. I have been using the same AT paddle since 05'.

both breaks were my fault and i feel like a lot of paddles would have broken in a similar fashion under the same circumstances. I agree the DD is a great paddle but the AT is sooooo smooth!

my humble opinion-
Trust me!!
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #6
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
I have owned both. The AT2 is by far and away my choice. To me the AT is about 100 times better. Now for the durability issue. I had a DD for about 4 months, and it began to show sever wear almost immediately. I did what I could and treated it like a baby but it continued. One day a friend offered to take it off my hands, and I took him up on the offer. I immediately went out and purchased another AT2. I have beat the hell out of a few AT's and I have never ever broken one. I have never babied them either.

The AT2 got a reputation a few years ago as a paddle that wasn't very durable. From what I have heard the problems people have had have been with the old AT4's and the AT2 flexi. If you get an AT2 E(fiberglass), standard (Yellow shaft), or the Super Light i think you will be very impressed by the feel, the action, and the durability. If you have the same experiences I have had you will never even consider paddling anything else.
"Ain't a single rock in this river that can stop us!" Slug
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #7
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I guess this is what I get for bragging, I snapped my AT2 flex today on the glenwood wave.. Of all places to brake a paddle I guess I'm lucky but it still sucks..It broke right at the splice so I will see how well AT is at customer service when I give them a call and at least see if they can fix it... I will post back..

PS: I am out of warranty but maybe they will help me out.. Either way I would still take an AT!!!!

stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote