Old 09-14-2009   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
AT vs. Werner

So I've had a werner paddle for a while but its a playboating paddle and I'm looking for a river runner/creeker paddle. However, I've never tried an AT paddle and am wondering what people think of them? Also what people with newer werners think of them?

Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #2
It's kind of like getting ski boots, got to go with the ones that fit your feet. Same with a paddle just go with the one that feels best in your hands.

Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #3
durango, Colorado
i had an at for two seasons, and just got a werner, both are bent shaft, i like the spaceing of the shotgun grips on the at more but the werner is a little lighter defently a plus and from what ive herd and seen werners seem to widdle away with time and at's (like my own) scratch untill they snap! im stoked on my werner!
carnuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #4
I tried both of them some time back and liked the AT much more and still do. Wife tried both and liked the Werner better and doesn't like my AT. Go figure.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #5
all over colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
i had the chance to buy a blue pool from costa rica and jumped on it i havent recieved it yet but i hear great things i will post updates on it when i recieve it and paddle it
mtnkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #6
Davis, California
yea, i started off with a werner straight shaft , but picked up an at4 bent. tried a foam core bent shaft werner and it felt really awkward for me. you will probably get used to whatever you go with regardless
Le Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I like the feel of the AT better. I have an AT2 "flexi". I had a Werner Player and the blades would "flutter" in the water. The AT doesn't seem to have that problem, maybe because of the thicker blades. The AT just feels solid to me. Also the grips on the AT feel better and it seems like you can slide your hands around a little bit more, like you have more options for hand placement. This is really nice if for some reason you are upside down and one hand comes off the paddle, it is easy to find the grip again. The AT blades do not wear out nearly as fast as the blades on the fiberglass Werners, although the more expensive carbon Werners might not have this problem. I really like the AT1 playboat style paddle and a lot of people use this for creeking as well and love it. I have heard complaints that the AT paddles break easily, but mine is still in one piece after 3 seasons, so I don't know. Its true what some others have said here: Get the paddle that feels right, just like shoes or helmets, or a condoms.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #8
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
AT paddles suck?

Werner or AT paddle? - Page 2 -, the california whitewater community

I'm probably ordering a Werner in the next few days.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #9
Fort Collins, Colorado
Send a message via MSN to Becky J
I've never had an AT, but I've always been happy with Werner. I just recently got the Werner Stikine and have fallen madly in love with it. I had the Twist before which I liked, but found that it took too much effort to get my boat moving while creeking (I think it was just too small for me). I've only taken the Stikine out twice so far (Cataract and Gore) but I can already feel the power I get out of each stroke. I also know someone with the Werner Shogun and he loves it.

Good luck paddle searching!
Becky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #10
sports enthusiast
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Send a message via AIM to sgb3000
Get yerself one of these!

Grab a handful of bliss!

sgb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote