Old 10-26-2009   #21
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Originally Posted by abron View Post
...Stikine...:] !!!
I'm loving it. Great paddle. Shelved the AT.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #22
x, x
Paddling Since: x
might be time to update the avitar

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #23
gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
so this is my experience, Werner glass blades wear out.... slowly or fast depending on how and where you paddle.
Werner foam core blades break.
At shafts break.
So there is one good solution WOOD, they are tough, buoyant, and there better looking then your girlfriend.

blunt family paddles
BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #24
I have paddled both and I can tell your from experience that the At paddle feels better in your hands, it has a smooth stroke to it. What I didn't expect after 2 years or normal paddling is to have it break simple by ferrying across the top of a drop to see if it was runnable.It's a strange feeling to have two pieces of a paddle above a drop and have decided to give werner paddles a try. My two cents is when something like that happens to you, you have to make a change I keep thinking what if that was a harder drop? I have since gone to Werner paddles and really liked the sherpa, while the color isn't friendly if you lose it, the durability is great and I don't have to worry about my paddle breaking.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #25
As for the wear on the werner paddles after two years I have seen minimal wear but I will be putting plastic edges around to to prolong its life.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #26
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Choosing a paddle

I am currently looking to purchase a paddle and started talking to people in shops. I have come to realize there are many variables to consider. I am replacing a Blue pool paddle, lost it on Bailey a few years ago , I purchased in Costa Rica and am thinking of going that route again because I really liked it. It was very stiff which can be hard on the elbow joints. I really liked the feel of the Werner bent shaft paddle. I have smaller hands so I feel I have a better grip than with the AT. I was also told by a Confluence Kayak employee he gets a lot more AT paddles brought back with damage than he does Werner. I definitely agree that there are pros and cons to each paddle and assessing your kayaking style can help determine which paddle is best.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #27
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I have owned both. My AT got all jacked up on the first run. I am talking about puncture holes through the blade on easy stuff. Werners won't do that, but they wear down from the tips if you run manky stuff.

I find that AT paddles are a bit more buoyant, which has its advantages.

Overall, I have been pleased with both. I would let cost dictate the purchase as I found a sweet deal on a Sherpa a few years back.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009   #28
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
like the feel of AT better, the thicker blades seem to feather easier. I might just be used to that though. Wood is also good - especially when you pick out the lumber yourself. this is quarter sawn ash handle:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec20_09.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	2107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec20_10.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	2108  

ajpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009   #29
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

I am very interested in hearing how and how difficult it was to make your wooden paddle.

Sean is offline   Reply With Quote