Old 09-14-2009   #21
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
yes AT paddles feel pretty good, but you can't trust them. they break easily and often for no apparent reason. if you need to count on your paddle b/c you run dangerous stuff then don't buy AT especially any of the cheaper ones. maybe the super high-end AT only breaks when stressed to levels that would snap other paddles. but from my experience they can break doing cartwheels.
why should you have to fill dents and holes to keep water out?
get a werner and know that it will be just fine unless extremely stressed.
plus i've had very bad times with AT's customer service.
never a problem with werner.

onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #22
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
I don't mean to be a total hater, all my buddies have a right to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.

That is f'ng hilarious, thank you

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #23
Commercial Paleontology
AT Crappo ?

When I finally felt I was a strong enough boaster to justify the price of a AT I went up out dropped the big bucks..One month later My AT2 was al ready toast......Kuddos to AT though ...they had it replaced in literally 3-4 days.

But within two times paddling my new one already I had a nice dent in the blade & at that point I said the hec with it & put it back on the shelf & bought a nice Werner...Still have yet to break one...though I did have one issue with one once & Werner also took care of me though it took several weeks.

Anyway you folks who are getting 5-6 years out of & AT..... I curious as to how physically big you folks are..I am a big guy...& though I do luv the feel of an AT more do than a Werner....I feel I could snap one easily at will. Not so with the Werners so I will stay with what I can trust.

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #24
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I put two seasons on my AT-3 and I'm a fairly big strong guy at about 190 and I am generally very rough on my stuff. The ends started to wear a little maybe by an 1/8 of an inch at the most. I sent it to Nepal in a soft bag, shoveled snow with it and other "bad" things and always felt like it was bomber and didn't have a single problem with it. Only reason I'm not still paddling is I chose to not spend the possible $450 for the three different legs on over-sized baggage on the way back from Nepal and sold it there to one of the safety boaters on one of my trips. I bought an AT-4 on my return and have to say that it doesn't have the same feel as the AT-3 and at this point I wish I wasn't such a cheap skate the 2nd time around and bought another AT-3 or ATX. I have been paddling the AT-4 now since about the beginning of the year and I haven't had any problems with it but it doesn't feel as responsive or sensitive. I have paddled with at AT-2 as well and to me the AT-3 feels by far like the most solid in the lineup.

My contact with their customer support was in regards to getting my custom ordered AT-4 so maybe it is different on the purchasing side as opposed to the warranty side.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #25
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Originally Posted by Badazws6 View Post
That sucks... Did you try to go through the shop you bought it from or straight through AT? I have had a couple conversations AT's customer service people and have always had a great experience...
Well I talked to AT Customer Service today and they said I can;

1. Send it to them for a blade replacement and they'll get it back to me in a couple of weeks.

2. Use a two part epoxy and fix it myself. Wow that's awesome! I never thought of doing that myself.

Problem is now that after I fix it or they eventually replace the blade I'd feel bad about selling this POS to somebody else. I guess I can just use it for roadside runs and the playpark.

Oh well...fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #26
silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Love my At2 Superlight, paddled werner for years, straight and bent shaft, never broken my paddle......knock on wood. Most people that ive paddled with and broke there paddle had a bad line and it was mostly there own fault. Relate it to motorcycle helmets, when you crash the helmet is not supposed to survive or be used again. If your helmet stays intact your probably not in very good shape. Same goes for your paddle, smoke it off a rock paddle breaks instead of your shoulder or arm. I will also say that my AT customer service experience was much better than werner. Had a werner double diamond bent shaft that collected water in the shaft. Sent it back, they sent it to the wrong address found the paddle, problem wasnt fixed. sent it back again they fixed it but sent again to the wrong address. Really Like My AT
miahski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #27
Whitsunday, Queensland, Australia
Paddling Since: 2007
AT4's glue failure, paddle becomes two!

My AT4 bent shaft become "unglued" when I was upside down in a class three rapid. The glue just failed and the shaft went in two opposite directions. This was after six uses. One half never seen again of course.

They agreed to replace it. (But there are none in the country - Australia - for some months.)

I liked using the paddle for the very short time I had it. Would I buy another one? Will I get the replacement? Who knows!

Cheers, Mick.
upthecoast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #28
Ft Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
never had a problem with mine...its light and comfortable...never has it not been there for me...i cant knock werner though...ive never had a problem there get what you pay for i guess...

NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote

at paddles