Old 12-14-2009   #1
Greenville, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2000
AT or Werner

which would hold up better in IV-V conditions really wantin to get a new paddle but have heard alot of pros and cons about both

ridetheflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Check it out.

AT vs. Werner

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #3
remsen, New York
Paddling Since: 2005
just pick the sweeter looking one..there both stout paddles
racered47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #4
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by racered47 View Post
just pick the sweeter looking one..there both stout paddles
I am in full disagreement. I have broken multiple AT's and have never had an issue with Werner.

I'll never go back to AT again. I'm sure some people disagree... but maybe only the ones who get paddles for free
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #5
remsen, New York
Paddling Since: 2005
yea i agree..ive had both and they both were tough as nails...maybe im just a pussy and need to hit harder runs haha
racered47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
i say werner
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #7
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
try before you buy

Originally Posted by ridetheflow View Post
which would hold up better in IV-V conditions really wantin to get a new paddle but have heard alot of pros and cons about both
I have owned both and will never again waste my time with werner again. I also have mutiple friends who had issues with werners the first time on the water and recieved no love from werner CS. They had to pay shipping there and back + repair cost. I have two AT's (the cheap ones even) and have been more than pleased with them. They do have much wider spacing between the bends on the bent shaft models.

Personal opinon if you can find one get a RoughStuff paddle. There made in Ierland and are indestructable. Ive had mine for 5yrs+ and it is still my go to paddle in almost all cirsumstances. I have also had really good luck with the older style lightning paddles, do not know how well they are made now though. At one time they were equally as good as werners for half the cost.

The key is to try some models before you buy. I agree with everyone else different makes will fit everyone differently.
seth65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009   #8
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
After accidentaly driving over my five year old Werner with My half ton truck resulting in no damage and beating it on a regular basis on clear creek for another three years,I'm
covinced Werner is an extremely durable paddle.
go2water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009   #9
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
Either way

I've paddled with numerous Werners and AT's. They are both great paddles. From my experience they are both subject to occasional faulty layups which can result in a prematurely broken paddle. But both companie's customer service departments are greay. Every paddle I've ever broken (5 or 6) has been my fault, (hitting rocks, wedging, etc.) and AT and Werner have fixed or replaced all paddles in all instances free of charge. So I have a pretty hard time believeing negative reports about either company in that regard.
AT (the AT2 specifically) is the most precise, ergonomic feeling paddle I've ever used. Especially for playboating there is really nothing that I would rather have. My last AT2 lasted 6 years of pretty heavy use, including several seasons of nasty sharped rock CO creeking. The heavily ovalized grips make it really easy to tell exactly where the blades are in any situation, and the bouyant blades are the cat's pajamas. The blade edges are wrapped with dynel and do not wear down or decrease blade size. I lost my AT2 this past spring and will be replacing it in the near future. Especially for playboating, I've not used anything that could compare in terms of performance or feel.
I've had numerous Werner's and am currently paddling with a straight shaft double diamond (the foam core dynel edged blade). I've never been a fan of Werner's bent shaft feel, not quite indexed and shaped like what I'm used to, but I'm sure you can get used to anything. The glass and carbon non-foam cored blades do wear around the edges rather rapidly and decrease in size, but are a great deal price wise with some of the options you get with straight shaft, bent, etc. I have heard people say and do agree that for heavy creek boating use Werners are slightly stronger all around and more reliable paddles. That's why I have my current paddle, entirely for reliability's sake. But again with my luck with AT's I really have to room for complaint in that department.

And just for the record, I am not affiliated with any of these companies, just another joe.
Either way you're getting the best paddles available. Sorry about the long winded reply, but I've read a bunch of opinions on this matter, most of which lacking any real-life experience using both. have fun
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009   #10
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Austin you're totally wrong. AT paddles are absolute crap. They may have a precise, ergonomic feel, but unless you're a playboater exclusively (which I know you're not), then just accept that ATs are crap. I have no experience paddling with an AT, but I have tons of experience loaning out my breakdown to people who do. I have personally witnessed the complete destruction of at least a dozen ATs. I've never seen a Werner break while someone was still holding it. As Joel said, "You can't take an AT off a waterfall, why would you do that?"
Nothing personal, but since it's winter, I figured I'd get some people all riled up.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote