Old 12-24-2009   #11
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I have loved all my Werner paddles. I did have the high end AT. I broke the blade on the Big South @ Barroom Brawl back in July. I will say breaking the paddle in half ,to put it in the back of my boat (didn't want to litter), was hard as hell! The AT lasted me a long time, but I've got some Werners that have lasted twice as long... just go with what feels good.

mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #12
Commercial Paleontology
AT vs Werner vs Body Size

So as to keep this somewhat short..I agree with Awoody regarding both paddles....I have paddled both brands & different models...I have also broken both... though the Werner incident was not actually a break as much as just a failure where the the shaft had been sanded down a bit too much & eventually the adhesive failed within the ferrule. Werner did replace it but not as timely as AT does.

I am curious though as to the size of the folks who luv their ATs & kept them for years as opposed to the folks who won't trust an AT......I will not paddle AT.... I definitely do not trust them to hold up when the crap goes down...& hec I even broke one once when I felt I wasn't even taxing myself or the paddle.....But I am 6' 3" 218 lbs...& feel I must put more pressure on it than say a 175 lb or less person...

So are you folks breaking the ATs tending to be of larger stature??

Just curious because I really do like the feel of an AT & if I was a smaller guy I would probably own another one...but that aint happening....By the way I have a nice warranted At2 in great shape for sale anytime... Ha.....

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #13
Werner hands down. AT sucks and I have owned both.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #14
The next zone, .
Once you have seen someone paddlin a werner have their hand slip down the shaft and cut tendons and stuff across the front of their hand... Well a at looks good just about then. You can paddle out on your breakdown but when your you have a huge gash on your hand... Very long rehab with a cut like this.

My at's last me on average 2-3 seasons and I am not as hard on my boats or paddles as many..
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009   #15
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
hold each and see which one feels better. I have broken both and more werners but that is cause I think AT's feel about as good as a condom made of sandpaper so I don't use them. Both are going to break so choose the one that feels the best.

That is the first I have heard of someone cutting their hand on a paddle, I would still buy a paddle after that just like I would buy a kevlar reinforced skirt even though it could possibly get turned around and caught on a rock. I would always carry a sharp pointed knife because blunt tips are for wussies
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #16
gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
simple rule with paddles,
AT feel great but break at the hands
Werner's foam core blades break and there glass ones just shrink
so the answer is a wood stick
blunt family paddles
These things are rad and I have personally taken them threw hell.
BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
baer it looks like you're rocking a werner in your latest photos. you been playing a little rough with the wood lately?

tango is offline   Reply With Quote