Are these any good? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-22-2016   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Are these any good?

These two boats are at the EZ Pawn in Wheat Ridge, 44th and Harlan. I'm a rafter, and have zero idea whether they're decent or not, but thought I'd post them over here in case they're a good deal. They're both priced at $200, but pawn shops will always negotiate a little.

If they're lame or too old school, please disregard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474584856044.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	12339  

dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016   #2

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
The WS ace came in different sizes. That looks like the small? not sure. Both those boats are more cartwheel freestyle boat. They are on the "more difficult to learn in" type boats. But hi reward in in linking endless cartwheels. If I were to want into kayaking cheep, I'd spend a bit more on the boat and cheep out on the skirt and paddle.

I'd recommend a pass on both boats unless you want a edgy cartwheeling machine that will ender and stern squirt until the sun goes down.
Old 09-22-2016   #3

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
I say they are worth at most $100 each. However, if you are looking to learn you would be better off looking for a used / modern Jackson Fun or Jackson Zen. They are designed to be easy to learn in. You may be able to find them in the $500-$800 range used.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016   #4

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I am not familiar with the "ACE" but the yellow one looks like the EZ to me (or the big EZ, hard to judge size in this photo). Was the ACE the predecessor to the EZ series?
I used to own a big EZ. It is a slightly higher volume playboat, very fun to surf and cartwheel but a feasible boat to run a moderate river on. It was sort of in it's own class I would describe as purgatory. Too big to be a proper play-boat but to small for a creeker. I used to love surfing it on open water waves and playing in our local hole but I was never big into the freestyle scene.
skibumandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #5

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The ACE came after the EZ series. It was a little longer, and was a great boat 15 years ago. I'd say they are both worth $100 to $150. The ACE would be more forgiving than the Spin, but neither would be great beginner boats.

Both of these reviews are 14-15 years old, FYI:
https://boatertalk.com/review/review.php?reviewid=840

BoaterTalk: Spin Review
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #6

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
Agreed

Have to agree with what's stated above. $100 would be my absolute max on either of those and I'd expect to lose money on the resale. They were once great freestyle machines, but the days of cartwheeling for hours are long gone.

I made the mistake of learning to kayak in a Pyranha S6. Made it hard to get into, but awesome once I got the hang of it. Knowing what I know now, I would have chosen something way more forgiving like an old Wavesport Diesel.
Old 09-23-2016   #7

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibumandy View Post
I am not familiar with the "ACE" but the yellow one looks like the EZ to me .
That yellow boat is a ACE 4.7 99.9% sure. You can see the ACE logo in the pic under the lock cable.

It might be the ACE 5.1 but I don't think so. The ACE 4.7 or 5.1 could be a good kids boat. Say under 110 lbs??
Old 09-23-2016   #8

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The spin was a torture chamber. But could do some very fun stuff in it.
onefatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Yeah, I had a perception Amp, which was a lot like the Spin. Wasn't a good boat, particularly for a beginner. It was boxy, so difficult to roll, didn't fit in most playholes, and it was a torture chamber. Avoid.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote