Old 02-08-2009   #1
Are all whitewater decks made equal in size?

Who here can settle this quandary? What say ye? The premise in question is as such: aside from some Riot kayaks and little-kiddie boats, all whitewater kayaks made in, lets say, the last ten years all have a size large cockpit (or clitpit for the ladies). Barring those designed by Corran Addison, can one safely assume that a sprayskirt with a size Large deck will fit all modern kayaks? Are there rogue cockpits amongst us? Renegade rims? Nonperfunctory pits? Loose cocks? What say ye?

MonsieurExtrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #2
Okay, okay, so nobody cares. That's cool, I did a little research and here's what I came up with. Yes, Large is the default size cockpit (according to the Immersion Research skirt fit list). However, it being a free country and an international sport, there are indeed rogue cockpits still being manufactured. Quite a few, especially for the Big and Talls, the ladies, and the little ones. All Dagger kayaks are size Large. I love consistancy. All Dragorossi's are Mediums, except the Thruster. Fairly consistent, especially for Corran, but only consistent in that it's different from what everyone else is doing. Eskimos, yes Eskimo still makes kayaks (I think), are all Large. The Blisstick Huka, MAC and RAD are XL's. Damn Kiwis. Fluid's are all Large. Now that's equality in the land of apartheid. Eric Jackson does things his own way. Jackson cockpits range from small to XXL, depending on the size of the paddler. For normal sized adults, the All Star is a Large. The Superstar, Hero, and Rocker are XL. All the Liquid Logic Boats have size Large cockpits except the Remix series (never heard of it).
Necky makes sizes from Medium to XL. The Witch, Switch, and Jive (old school) are Mediums but who cares? Seriously though, those were all pretty sweet boats for their day. Those crazy Canooks finally got with the program with The Chronic and Orbit Fish: both size Large. The US once again sets the bar for international weights and measurements. Over in Germany Prijon was making a hodgepodge of sizes for a long time but got with the program when the made the revolutionary Delerious, size Large. And oh yeah the Luv is a Large. The Alien is a medium and to anyone still paddling the Alien I'm sincerely sorry. The Release is also a Large. Most the Pyranha's are size Large. Most of their Creekers are XL. Both sizes of Burn, the M3, and the Micros are all XL but the Micro Bat is a Large. Wavesport are Large except the Siren (M), the Evo (M) and the Super EZ (XL, no big shocker there). Anyways, I'm either the only person who cares or else everyone already knew this but it was just too damn complicated to explain. No worries, I got the answer I was looking for.
MonsieurExtrem is offline   Reply With Quote