Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 07-19-2011   #51
my friend recently bought a 12' Revolution with full fishing frame. He chose it over much deliberation between the RM raft and a Tributary due to the width, (its only 5'6") and weight. He is always loading/ unloading it by himself. I took it down our local river on high flows, Honest class III and thought it was a great boat. Stiff, responsive, tracked well and well- designed. BTW, lots of boats only have 3 exterior chambers, I used to have a 13' Maravia that only had three, so... not an issue.

Also, while I do make every effort to buy local and American, for someone to say they wouldn't trust their life to anything made in China is completely laughable... I would bet the brake shoes on your car were made in China, or the Mylar air bags...Also, Asia has the textiles market dialed in... don;t take my word for it, go to the Outdoor Retailer show in August and see the entire top floor of the Trade Center taken up by these companies.

seems like a great boat at a great price. I've always preferred laced in floors like Aire or Maravia, so that you only had to send the floor back if it tore, but I was impressed with this boat.

shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #52
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
My Sotar folds quite easily, unlike some pvc boats I've owned, such as Aire.

Originally Posted by rogwilco View Post
You are always taking a chance with a new product . sotar and mariavia have been using urethane on their boats for years. with the inflated floor a catastropic failure would be ?? depending on where you are on the river. kind of like a wrap. A friend of mine had a blown baffle on an 18' bucket boat ;then ripped the stern tube ; deflating the whole rear of the boat . This was in '84 at 60,000 cfs , Grand canyon. Lucky - at the end of a rapid ,with others close to take on gear and get to camp. The downside of this boat is that it is like trying to fold a brick . and it will take up half of your garage. well built in china.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #53
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
So, shortbus, what does your friend think of durability. I've got the 13' revolution and have noticed considerable durability issues, namely a hole after less than 2 hours of use on the Poudre. The link below has a pic of my boat in the thread I started.

NRS Revolution?

Your buddy have any issues with the durability of the material?
boldtwatermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #54
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Is poudre pronounce pooder? Like "check out my wives pooder! Shes so fine!"
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #55
Denver, Colorado
So I just got off the phone with NRS. Here's the final result: I am going to exchange it for the more tried and true Otter 130. I'll be paying a bit more for it (obviously) but I'll trust it more as well.

As far as the new material goes, I've still got questions about it's durability. If I got another one, I'd want to get the whole bottom (floor and tubes) covered in a high build urathane coating for increased urathane coating. For me, this time it's cheaper to upgrade to the more durable raft.

And yes, it is pronounced pooder. And yes, it's impossible to talk about without a little bit of giggling.
Old 07-20-2011   #56
Portland, Oregon
Actually bought two this season

I bought 2 13' Revolutions this season. Only boated it once myself but initial impressions are that it seems solid enough. We've had Otters for awhile so that's what I compare it to. It seems to be a stiffer ride on the river. Like driving with a really stiff suspension. Not sure I like this. Tracks really well. Didn't seem any lighter than similar sized Otter which surprised me a bit. Seemed to drain a bit slower than the Otter.

We raft a pretty rocky river all summer so will be interested to see how well it lasts. Mainly bought them to try something different after using Hypalon boats for years.

For what's it's worth.

blueskypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #57
norcal, California
Sorry to hear about the rip, the hassle, and the extra $$ it's costing you. I've got a Revolution too and one of the selling points was the alleged toughness of the fabric. I've run over some rocks and don't see any obvious wear, but I'm not claiming that means much. Time will tell. Glad to hear NRS is taking care of you.

You're going to have to run your new Otter over that same rock. For science.
barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #58
Denver, Colorado
I'm also not convinced it wasn't a freak occurrence/bad luck/material fluke or something, but at this point I'd rather go tried and true.
I'll be curious to see how they perform after a couple seasons.
Old 07-20-2011   #59
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Is poudre pronounce pooder? Like "check out my wives pooder! Shes so fine!"
Exactly - or like "Kayakers like it in the poudre" same effect
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #60
Placitas, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
My first set of NRS cat tubes had an issue after one season. It sure looked like the materail was faulty. The set they replaced them with seem ok after two seasons. NRS has some issues but they will try and make things right. Flaky but nice. I'm pretty tried of thier out sourcing. Buy American when you can!

tcat is offline   Reply With Quote

nrs, polyurethane