Old 04-28-2005   #1
anybody want to talk mountain bikes?

Not sure if y'all love to get on the bike at all, but since I'm a member I'll ask my question on gear-

looking for a new bike with travel in front and back, priced 1000-1500, and I'm a class III-IV biker. looking at klein, cannondale, trek, fisher brands or equivalent.

any suggestions? Thanks.

bula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #2
I have a full susp. Klein a few years old and love it. Dont think you can go wrong.

kkeane7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #3
Spend a bit more on a Titus from Wheat Ridge Bikes. They rock.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005   #4
You'll get more bang for your buck if you go with a Jamis or a Kona. Stay away from Trek, Klein and the likes. You are paying for the name. don't get me wrong theymike an awesome bike but for 1500 you can get an awesome set up from one of the lesser known companies. Jamis especially.
bdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005   #5
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Look at the Kona "backcountry" line of bikes, it's their dawg series of bikes I think. This line of bikes are the all around bikes. Made light enough for that cross country stuff and enough suspension for some 'freeride' type riding.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Buy local- Take a look at the Yeti 575 Enduro. It might be a little more pricey than you're looking for, but it's a 29 lbs climbing monster that has almost 6" of travel on either side.

If that's too much, I would look at Giant's line as well. HTey have the ability to closeout last year's bikes at the dealers at a pretty good discount for the components you get. Hell- Giant's factories make a lot of the other brand's bikes.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005   #7

Why the heck do so many people blindly choose "Cannondale, Trek, Klein" etc bikes??? Cause everyone else is blindly buying them ??

I'm sure some models are fine, but there are so many more mfg's out there that have so much more to offer... Yes they cost more, but buy used...

I have bought many bikes over the last 5 years, and I have to tell you that buying a used boutique bike is better than buying a so-so popular brand bike that is brand new. You can usually find a used one year old bike that originally sold for $3000 for $1500 today. This usually allows you to get better components (ie disc brakes, better front/rear shocks, and component group).

Check pout MBR classifieds, and look for Titus, Turner, Ellsworth, Santa-Cruz, Ventana, RockyMountain..
bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #8
If you are looking for a used bike I have a great one for sale in your price range. It is a Psycle Werks "Wild Hare" All race face and XT equiped. Thompson seat post. Hayes disc brakes. 4" Marzocchi Z1. Fox vanilla rear shock adjustable travel from 3.5"-4.5". Fantastic hand made USA frame. Great trail bike. Original retail $3750.
sk8TUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005   #9
ive got the bike

well, befor ei bought my santa cruz i think i test rode 24 bikes (no joke) over the course of 4 nonths. i wasnt in a rush to buy but wanted to make my money spent worth it....i ended up w a santa cruz super light. it rode very similar to the turner and ellsworth but was much more affordable. unfortunately i am going to part ways with it due to several injuries sustained this winter. its got XTR , easton and raceface components fox rear and rock shoxx in front and is very light (22.5 lbs). probably ridden less than 150 miles ands in really great shape.....if u are interested let me know ...other wise i still recommend looking at a santa cruz,, they have a budget conscious bike, not sure what its calle but supposed to be nice. also, i had a friend get a giant for about 1200 and he seemed to like it
senorlinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005   #10
Salida, Colorado
Got new 04 g.f. Cake Deluxe for $1300+ luv it

No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote