Old 03-06-2012   #1
norcal, California
Any reason not to get the longest drybox that fits?

Looking to buy my first dry box. The interior width of my 14' raft is 44". And the box I'm looking at (Cambridge) comes in either 36" or 44". A couple of advantages to an exact fit that come to mind are maximum storage space, and harder for a foot to slip between the box and a tube. But I'm wondering if there are disadvantages to an exact fit that I'm overlooking. Thanks in advance MB.

barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #2
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I would worry about pinching tubes w/ a 44" wide raft and 44" box. The tubes will change diameter quite a bit w/ temperature changes...Also you wouldn't want to pop a tube because it got pinched between a rock and the box. I would think that .5"-1" of space on either side would be better...My drybox is 34" wide and I have 36" between tubes on my 13' raft.

LongmontRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #3
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Cambridge Welding will make them any size you want. Call Cy direct. Sorry, don't have the number handy.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #4
I don’t quite get the pinching thing as you’d have to compress the whole diameter of the side tube to pinch it. Even if you had space in there and hit a rock the compression would flex the tube into the box. I can tell you though that my dry box is probably a good inch or two too big for my space, and other than having to push the box down to get it in between the tubes it’s never been an issue. Boxes are smooth so as long as the handle isn’t rubbing inside there I think it’s fine. Only downside is aluminum rub marks on the tubes but you’re going to get those anyway. That’s been my experience since I went to a wider box a few years ago, no problems so far anyway. I went from a regular box to a kitchen box and that’s just how it worked out since it was a production model. If I was having one made I would probably measure the actual width (spec width generally ends up being different), and subtract 2-4” just to make it easier to get in and out of the boat. Inch or so on either side isn’t much.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #5
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Will you ever be lifting this box by yourself? 44 might be too wide for that. Also, I like to have a gap for cramming miscelaneous items. You definitely don't want the box to be rubbing.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #6
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I went with the 44" in my raft as well and had it in the the front bay. I had to move the frame back a bit because I found the corners of the box rubbing where the tubes narrow up in the bow. Now I dont have any problem with it touching the sides.
SALRVRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #7
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
My box touches on each side (exact fit). It makes a rub mark about the same as your frame on the chafe strip. 5 years now running this with no issues with rubbing through the exterior coating of the PVC fabric.. But of course I have an Aire and the outer hull is essentially 1 giant chafe strip anyway.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #8
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
ive got a 39'' inner width with 38'' box rubs heavily. hasnt beena problem in the next few year ill add some chafe straps to the area
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #9
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Big pan for big groups, small pan for small groups. Get one of each. If $ is an issue, don't bring more size or weight than you will most frequently need.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #10
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
You can get an off the shelf 40" box from Cambridge, too:

Cascade Outfitters Whitewater Rafting Equipment: 13.5 x 15 x 36, 40 or 44 inch Cambridge Dry Box

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote