Old 03-29-2013   #11
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
A quality used boat will have resale value, when you decide to upgrade. The RMR, well, I sort of doubt it. Look for nrs otter too, decent boat, cheaper than e series. A hood starter boat so they tend to come up used. Heck, I might know of a 15' one, but the guy is on cataract right now.
The RMR is definitely quite an improvement over the Saturn or Maxxon boats. If it turns out there is a long term reliability issue, the value of a used one could tank.

I dont get the whole E series thing? Why would you pay the same for a made in Mexico boat as you do for one that comes out of the good ole USA?

Corporate profits are at an all time record high

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #12
San Francisco, California
I almost bought an RMR 16' at the end of last season when it was going for 20% off. I think next to the good ole American made big name rafts, RMR is still the best deal out there. I saw the 2012 model, very well constructed, welded seam, laced-in floors for close to $2K. Now the price is closer to $3K for the 16' I was looking at. I found a old serial AIRE 156D with full 10 year warranty for around that price, so it was no brainer. If you have to have it now, you won't have too many options. If you are wiling to wait for the fall, there are lots of options.

If you can find a whole shebang package of a reputable American brand for $5K (including trailer), you should jump on it. I've seen a few in that price range with a quality trailer included, but they were all too small for my need. If you are starting with a brand new raft, be prepared to spend as much for all the other stuff you will need for true multiday rig. What size boat are you looking for? I know someone who is selling a like new 156R in northern california. you may be able to negotiate the price down to about $3500 for boat only. Feel free to PM me or search craigslist sacramento.

verendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #13
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
The RMR rafts are well made boats. They use the same heavy construction and welded seems as the high end brands and the design is well thought out. The main thing to keep in mind is that they are a very heavy boat and they don't roll well so they take up a lot of space when deflated.
Rogue Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #14
Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Yeah I would agree with the roll up issue. I have a 16' and that thing is huge! My other boat is a hypalon, so its not exactly comparing apples to apples. Given the choice I would buy another RMR.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.
hand8272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #15
Agness, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
thanks for all the replies! I want a 14' boat because it will be small enough to run the illinois, but big enough for 4-day trips down the rogue...not big enough for the grand, but i will deal with that situation if i ever get lucky enough to go...i will be looking to buy in the fall...
hammateur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #16
Fort Collins, Colorado
Originally Posted by hammateur1 View Post
thanks for all the replies! I want a 14' boat because it will be small enough to run the illinois, but big enough for 4-day trips down the rogue...not big enough for the grand, but i will deal with that situation if i ever get lucky enough to go...i will be looking to buy in the fall...
It's big enough to run the Grand. I did it this January in my 14' RMR.

I've had no problems with the boat, but it's my first raft so I don't have much to compare it to. As you've probably gathered, the floor hangs low and your feet get wet, but that's a pretty small quibble.
scannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #17
Calgary, Alberta
Originally Posted by AZJefe View Post
I've rowed one of the 2011 16' RMR boats on several trips and I like them except the fit and finish of the inflatable floor is really ghetto. Maybe they've gotten it together since then.
I see where you're coming from, but I don't know of it the fit and finish is ghetto, or if it'll just never look/be as clean as a welded/glued in floor.

I have a 2011 and the build quality of the boat is very good. The only thing I've noticed is that the boat seems a bit "sluggish". Friends in rental Hysides were difficult to keep up with when they were paddling and I was paddling harder to try to keep up. I think this is because the laced-in floor is not a smooth interface.

It's a minor gripe, and I expect many years of enjoyment from my boat.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #18
Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
There was a very good thread on RM rafts here on the Buzz 2 yrs ago. Just google RMR and mtn buzz and it will come up. I bought a 13 ft 2 yrs ago and have had zero problems, but also my 1st raft so no comparisons. What ever gets you on the river. Make a habit to check the buzz/CL on a daily basis as good deals don't last but will see better deals come fall. You never know when someone gets in a cash crunch so keep your eye out.
fourtyfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #19
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
FYI- there is a 'used boats' classifieds section on Sotars website, and similar on NRS's website. worth checking those every now and then,
Also Jack's Plastic Welding is worth a look. If couldn't afford a Sotar...(which is true....I can't) JPW would be my next choice. Not cheap either,but they are making some really nice stuff these days. Made right here in New Mexico
got curious and took a look for prices- and found that there is a 2012 demo boat sale....
2012 whitewater demo boat sale
hopefully a couple more options for you..!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #20
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Here is a nice 13' hyside on here for sale right now. There is a reason a 15-20 year old hyside, avon, nrs, sotar cost as much as a brand new rmr.

13' Hyside Outfitter Pro Self Bailer - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote