Old 04-25-2009   #1
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Another silly question from a semi newb

Folks, I'm coming back to paddling after a long absence (kids, jobs, etc.), and I find myself having to rebuild some skills. I paddled a Mad River ME a good bit back in VT, and I had planned to paddle a Perception C-1 here in CO. Unfortunately, I toasted my achilles tendon in a skiing accident, and I doubt if I'll have enough flexability to squeeze into the 'the position' before Fall. I've healed enough that I can paddle easy stuff to get out (I'm walking with a cane). My thought is that I could adapt to Kayak paddling over the next three months. I've seen the 'demo, demo' advice, but since I'd be coming back into the biz after a long layoff and learning to use a double blade I think I'm going to have to give up one turn of the screw as the price of entry. I'd like to find a used boat in the $200-450 price range.

My experience with skis highights the need to get equipment that has some extendability. I've seen some gear swap ads that looked good for a Pyrahna 230 or a Dagger 6.9. Would either of these boats be a reasonable choice for an eager, clumsy paddler with high mileage (5'11" / 175lb)??

Vermont Refuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #2
Whitsunday, Queensland, Australia
Paddling Since: 2007

Rule number one: everybody has a boat perfect for them, but it a very personal choice!

Rule number two: budgets and availability usually wreck rule number one.

I'm not sure what sort of water you are seeking to paddle. Obviously this is the key to the type of boat you need. Length, volume and hull shape combine to breed optimum boats for certain conditions, but you already know that!

The Pyranha Micro 230 is an old-fashioned displacement-hull creek boat, ideal for steep and narrow waters. It's a classic and I have paddled (briefly) two of them. It fitted my 5.10+ and 165 lb body (converting to American!) very comfortably. I very much liked them, but couldn't find one to buy in Australia. You would just be on the upper weight limit. Second-hand creek boats of the Micro 230 age might have just gathered dust in the shed - a quick look will tell you - but check the hull under the seat in this particular boat. A great boat built specifically for creeking; slowish for river-running.

In lieu of a P. Micro 230, I bought a Prijon Creeker 225, a boat with similar dimensions and load carrying capacity, you are on the upper limit again. This particular boat suits me perfectly for my paddling which is a moderate but fun class 2/3 creeking and river-running standard. Quicker than the 230, it surfs, ferries, eddies and boofs well, overall appearing to be viceless. A keeper! Bonus: the plastic is very tough!

With your injury problems, would a longer boat with more leg-room be worth starting again with? A Dagger Animas or similar?

But in the end, as stated earlier, everyone makes a personal choice; we can't all have the same wife nor would we want the same one necessarily. It does pose a question though: if we need several boats to satisfy our varied needs, why have the one wife? (Um, girls, that was a feeble attempt at HUMOUR.)

Cheers from Mick in Australia.

upthecoast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #3
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1997
Hey VR. I've got a Wavesport Diesel listed in the swap section here. It's in good shape and in your price range. It's a big river running kayak. Very user friendly. Price is negotiable.
Only when the last tree is cut down and the last river has dried up will man realize that reciting native American proverbs makes you sound like a muppet. - Banksy
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #4
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
Keep your eyes peeled for a Jackson Hero as well. Very adjustable (on-the-fly) foot brace system.
I was going to be vague but then I decided to do this other thing.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote