Old 08-11-2012   #11
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
If I bash somebody in the head with a fire extinguisher, is the fire extinguisher no longer a safety device? Nobody's advocating dropping an anchor in a wave train- or in class III waves. That's extremely dangerous and foolish behavior. Anchors do represent potential danger in moving water, for sure. But to plan on your rope breaking when you make a mistake is not a plan.... it's a wish. Anchors are designed to hold- problems crop up when they don't. Floating anchor rope is dumb and dangerous, and so is a weak anchor rope. Will poly work? Sure- right until it doesn't.
I still don't see how an anchor is a safety device. Saying that problems crop up when they don't hold is proof of my point. If you are anchoring upstream of something dangerous that you dont want to float into, you are creating the dangerous situation by dropping anchor and staying there rather than maneuver around and downstream. I agree that an anchor is a highly useful fishing tool on the river, but it combined with the rope have little to no "safety" value. Rather they create a much higher potential for problems, both physically on the boat, as well as the false sense of security they provide to some fishing above rapids. Again, I have used 3/8 solid braid poly rope for anchor line as a fishing guide (never used the NRS jam cleat) for ten years and tens of thousands of river miles,and have never had one break, despite wearing some halfway through and using them for 20 more trips before replacing them. My boss has used them for 20 years. But what do I know other than what I have actually experienced in life? Just wondering why floating rope sucks?

matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #12
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Sounds like we all need to have a great big ole safety meeting and group hug.

Safety should never be under appreciated.....

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #13
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Google "anchor rope" and see what you find- I'm not gonna piss in your 10 years of wind
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #14
denver, Colorado
I need to tie my new anchor off. My rope comes out the back of my frame, then I have a pulley and clip that will go on the anchor and the rope will be tied off around the frame pipe after looping through the pulley.

What knot would you guys suggest I use to tie it around the frame? Thanks
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #15
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I put an eyebolt through my anchor frame and tied off to that with a clinch knot...

All this discussion above is amusing. After a year or two of droping your anchor in a cleat and going through pulleys it will be significantly weaker than the original rated strength. I would not consider my anchor a safety device nor use the rope for rescue unless it was a last ditch effort and then I'd be damn careful no body would get hurt if it broke...

I've never even heard of an anchor rope breaking in use (yes, while pulling truck out of ditch) and as noted somewhere above the worst case if it did should be a lost anchor. If you anchor above a sweeper (or other obvious danger) you are, shall I say....dumb. The greatest load you are likely to have would be +/- 100lbs. Any more and you will not pull it up, even with a mechanical advantage. The breaking strength really becomes moot. Secondly the odds are infinitely greater that your anchor will simply loose it's hold on the bottom. If it were anywhere near breaking with most of the ropes noted above you would likely have already abandoned ship, not necessarily voluntarily.

Lastly as reinforcement for above....DON'T TIE A KNOT - new anchor and rope ~$125, new boat and gear ~$much much more, new friends - $priceless. Allways have a knife handy, I have seen plenty of stuck anchors and in an accidental drop a tangle on your floor is likely so being able to cut it somewhere could be curcial.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #16
denver, Colorado
Yeah...everyone is just trying to help people be as safe as they can, and with this being primarily a whitewater forum, the use of an anchor can be foreign to most.

I don't have the time or the want to drill a hole in my frame for this coming weekend. I need to just tie the end onto the anchor frame so I can use the pulley.

And obviously, no knot in the other end., although, in a quick emergency situation, the rope is probably going to need to be cut anyhow since I don't anticipate it not tangling as it goes through the pulleys in a hurry. But 99% of the time, you use the anchor when pulled over at shore or in very flat water that you want to fish.

gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote