Old 07-20-2007   #1
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Ammo Experience?

Anyone out there have experience with the Pyranha Ammo? Seems really intriguing. Best boat ever? Still kicking yourself for buying it? Somewhere in between?

kurtmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I'm interested in the Ammo as well. The one person I know that has it likes it. He stated that unlike the creek boat he had, he could make it turn as easy as a playboat. He thought it would be good for class IV creeks as well as river running. There is that logic though that you don't want a plaining hull on a creek because it won't role off rocks, but have a tendency to pin instead. I'd like to hear more about that.

Here are some boat reviews I've found online that make the Ammo sound like a great boat. I'd like to hear from some other owners of the boat, though. I hear from shop owners that the boat has play as well...loops in big features.

SueCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #3
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
hey guys,

I demoed one and really want to purchase one. I am 5 11 165 so I am little bit inbetween the two sizes. I paddled te smaller one but would recomend the larger one due to the whole stern squirting deal. In the small one I backendered in the middle of "no fun falls" which not a great place to be in that situation. I can't blame it totally on the boat.

On the rest of the river I absolutley loved it. Bear creek is tight with small eddys and 350 it was a little bit pushy. I loved the feel of the play boat lines ont he boat. It felt so much better peeling and out of edys. Also I mroe than likely should have paddled the boat a little bit more agressively.

So I would say go for it. I would be buying one if i could afford it.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have an Ammo and I absolutely love it. It is great for class IV creeking and any run with big waves, like the Numbers at high water. I have taken mine down Lime Creek and Clear Creek of the Ark and my only complaint is that it has the tendency to stern squirt. But for every other run I have done, it has performed great. It turns fast, tracks well, and you can even surf it.
riverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007   #5
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by SueCherry View Post
There is that logic though that you don't want a plaining hull on a creek because it won't role off rocks, but have a tendency to pin instead. I'd like to hear more about that.
I don't believe it is that significant a problem. I creeked for 3 seasons in an old Pyranha H2. Loved it. I have a Burn now (planing hull) and I haven't had a chance to paddle anything scary with it yet but I think I'm going to love it too.

The only problem I've ever had with a planing hull in a creeky situation was one time on low water SSV. I was tired, paddling lazy, and going sideways in shallow water. The hull caught a rock and my head did a "crack the whip" on the bottom when I was suddenly flipped. I don't think a "real" creek boat would have done that.

I have a "real" creekboat too but, to be honest, I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. I am so hooked on planing hulls. I am going to force myself to paddle the creekboat as much as possible so I can improve my skills but when it gets pushy and more river-like than creeky, like meaty Black Rock, then the Burn is going to be my boat of choice.

I want to demo an Ammo too. I am thinking about getting one and calling it my wife's boat because I don't really have an excuse for getting another one for myself.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

I am interested in it myself. I sat in medium at the shop in golden and really liked the way it felt. Probably try to get a run in it at the park next week.

possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote