Old 08-27-2010   #1
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Alpine Quest Bad Customer Service

I was wondering if other boaters have had issues with AQ and their customer service when ordering a special item from them. I ordered a sit-on-top hatch screw on cover about a month ago in Glenwood. It came in but they gave it to another person who didn't order it but mistakenly ordered a cover and wanted what I had ordered. They gave my order to them and told me that they ordered a new one. So two 1/2 weeks past and today I found out that they never ordered the hatch for me. This is my second issue with ordering something from AQ this summer. The other was a groover clean out kit that took over a month to come in and it wasn't ordered until I came in the store the third time to see if it had come in then it really did get ordered. I like AQ other than that. But anything outside the norm seems difficult for them to deal with. So I am wondering if this is a Glenwood issue or an Edwards and GW issue. Obviously, I am also venting on this forum. I have a feeling I'd better find another place to order my hatch

mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #2
Edwards, Colorado
Sean here

This is Sean the owner of Alpine Quest. I want to apologize for the issues you had. I will find out what happened first thing in the morning when I get to the shop and do my best to make it right. I will PM you my personal cell phone number in a minute. Feel free to give me a call or send me your number/ email and I will contact you directly.

We always strive to provide the best customer service, but as you have seen something must have slipped through the cracks. Hopefully you will give us the chance to earn back your trust.

-Sean Glackin

AQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #3
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sorry you may have had a bad experience, however I would like to add that their service this summer has been impresive and thier staff is very knowledgeable. Thanks for the right gloves, booties and demos.
Shotgun Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #4
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I recently recollected a warrantied AT4 Carbon from them and thought the process was good and was satisfied. I am now awaiting a new jackson superstar on a warranty as well but so far it has been great. Bad luck for you I guess, as a business owner I can say that there will always be a percentage of clients that aren't happy. I commend Sean for doing his best to remedy.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sorry you had a bad experience. Mine have all been positive, starting with Riley's first paddle; the were the only ones around who stocked paddles that small at the time.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I picked up a custom order paddle from them this summer, and my experience was a good one. They even offered to have the paddle transferred the same day from one store to the other to make it easier for my to pick it up while driving through.

I know it's easy to get frustrated; but generally speaking, it's probably a good idea to escalate a customer service issue to a manager or an owner before going to a public board like this. Try to exhaust every avenue first. Sounds like Sean will make it right for you, and he responded here within 8 hours.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #7
glenwood springs, Colorado
Don't think it's typical ...

We have had the greatest customer service from AQ ... everyone, I mean everyone, is always helpful & energetic and more than willing to bend over backwards to help us!! We've ordered Drytops, boats, booties, etc from them this year and no problems!!

Shoot a couple of those guys helped my kids learn loops and cartwheels on the wave!

Give 'em another shot ... they really are top notch!!!
"Living Life to the Extreme"
10grtkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #8
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I agree with El Flaco. They are the only whitewater shop in this area and I have always had great experiences with them. It's a little harsh to come onto a forum and start bashing them without even speaking to a manager first. In our current times of online retail, I think it is awesome that we still have a local shop to go to. Creating forums like this isn't going to help keep them around. Think before you post.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #9
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Alpine Quest

I appreciate the post regarding your experience as well as the opportunity to see Sean respond and possibly remedy the situation . As a consumer I am very conscious of where I spend my money it could influence my willingness to pay more in support of the local shop vs mail order to save $. I failed to notice you bashing anyone ssshhhh be happy they will take your money??. Sean and Lisa have always done a great job for me and I bet it turns out OK
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #10
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
This is great to hear. I think my situation just fell through the cracks and my perception is, there might be a communication break down between the two shops. In the past, I have always been treated very well when I have bought from AQ. This was the 2nd time in a very short time that I ordered something and both times it went bad. I have a friend who bought everything for kayaking from AQ and had great success. And thank you Sean for your comments.

mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote