Old 04-04-2011   #21
White Salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 2000
Hi "Solid",
If the IR jacket seems to be leaking thru the seams, you can send that in to us at IR and we can test it, and see if there are any holes- we typically do those repairs at no cost to you, aside from shipping to IR. We have changed our waterproof/breathable material in the last couple of years as well, something to consider if you want to upgrade to a full-on drytop. The Semi-dry jackets are designed more so with river-running in mind, not so much for playboating. The Comp LX (full latex)would be the way to go if that is how you find yourself spending most of your time- as you tend to flip more/be upside down more while playboating.
As for your sprayskirt, if you are indeed using the same skirt for the dagger, as you were for the Burn, chances are, that it is pretty stretched out, and its time for a new skirt- they do get a bit worn out over time, and the burn is a XL cockpit, the Dagger rims are on the bigger side of a large- between those two rims, they have a circumference difference of about 5-6", which is a lot. You can check out if you ever need to know the size of a cockpit rim. Our klingon sprayskirt seems to seal well on the Dagger rims. If you ever have any questions on any of our products, we always welcome a phone call, between 9-6:00 eastern time- we are always eager to help you out!

Jesse-ImmersionResearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #22
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 03
I hate to post this right after the IR guy, but it is the truth.

I have used many companies drytops (Kokatat, IR, Stohlquist, Bomber Gear) I have found that on most drytops, including IR, the material starts leaking after 1-2 seasons. The gore-tex drytops do hold up longer 2-4 seasons.

Regardless of what company makes the drytop (for they all make reasonable good products), if you are playboating you need a latex gasket to stay dry. period.

As for the spray skirt-- The dagger kingpin is a leaky boat due to the cockpit shape. I use a lip lock skirt (the ones with the funny flange) and that seems to work a lot better. When you use a lip lock skirt you are sealing the band against a layer of neoprene, not just directly onto the hard plastic. In addition, your skirt probably did get stretched out on the creekboat. You might consider getting a new spray skirt and designating it as your playboat sprayskirt.

I'm thinkig of having a gear swap/sale this coming Friday evening - keep your eyes and ears open, I'll probably post a thread about it tomorrow.

gnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #23
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks for all the help everyone!

I am going to use my skirt on my creek boat and purchase a new skirt for my playboat.

I also am replacing my dry top, don't know with what yet tho.

Slightly off subject question, I got my kingpin 6.3 for a really great deal despite knowing the 6.2 would probably be a lot better fit, is my learning progression for moves really going to be hindered by using a slightly large boat I am 160 lbs.

This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote