Old 11-02-2012   #11
the, border
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
I bought one new a few years ago and turns out (becasue I have other IKs and other boating interests) that I don't use it -- used it once that I'm certain of, maybe another time or two, maybe -- it has been stored inflated, indoors and out of direct sunlight for its entire life -- so it's in excellent plus condition. yellow. I haven't been trying to sell it (I'd love to use it, but there are only so many free hours/days), but I would get points with my wife if I reduced the number of boats! $950 (30% off retail) plus shipping is what I could do. Because it is like new and because I'm really not dying to sell it, that price is firm. PM me if interested; I don't have photos, but could take some.

Thanks John,

Sounds like a good deal, but right now I'm still in the research mode. Any feedback on your limited use of the boat would be appreciated. Why have you chosen to use your other IKs over the Outfitter 1?

flatheadrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #12
the, border
Originally Posted by suzpollon View Post
I have an Aire Outfitter 2 and a Tomcat 1 from prior to when they switched those over to the Tributary brand.

Both are bomber.

The Outfitter 2 is super stable. You probably don't want to hear this, but I find it ideal to have a tandem and a single.

The tandem we can take out beginners, but we can still just paddle it as one person - but it allows the extra gear on overnighters.

Yes, the two boat idea- one solo and one tandem is where I'm headed for exactly the reasons you've mentioned. As stated above, I'm leaning towards the Outfitter 1 to start with.

I'm trying to keep this thread on track with the Outfitter 1 but so far no one has offered any real positives or negatives on this particular boat based on actual usage in any conditions. Other than John wants to sell his.

flatheadrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012   #13
Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Will do
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012   #14
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Originally Posted by flatheadrafter View Post
Thanks John,

Sounds like a good deal, but right now I'm still in the research mode. Any feedback on your limited use of the boat would be appreciated. Why have you chosen to use your other IKs over the Outfitter 1?
Well, I haven't been doing as much single IKing as I thought I might; we have two Eddyline Fathoms (one is the LV) bought since the Outfitter purchase, and we have mostly been lake boating here in the Tetons. I also bought a small raft and frame this year (Hyside mini-max), so our river time has been mostly with that.

So, I think I only IKed twice this season, and my Aire Lynx was more accessible to grab and go. For me (175 lbs.) the Lynx is great -- compared to the Outfitter, it is a bit lighter I think and a bit less bulky. For me, based on very limited use, the Outfitter has no particular advantage over the Lynx. Theoretically, because of the larger tubes, it might be more stable than the Lynx (certainly marketed as such), but personally I didn't feel that. Let's see, what else can I say? Like my Lynx, and unlike my Hyside Padillac II, it turns around with one paddle stroke. If I recall, I bought it to have a second single, but turns out my wife just isn't that interested. I also bought it thinking it might be more stable for IKing the "Alpine section" of the Snake River Canyon here in Wyoming at high spring flows, but I have not been motivated to try that yet -- and as I said, for me, I'm not convinced it would be more stable than my Lynx anyway -- but that hasn't been fully tested.

What else to say? You already know about Aire quality. Sorry I don't have more seat time in the boat to tell you more.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012   #15
Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970

I wish we could add more first-hand info on the Outfitters to our site, but I have paddled the solo model once now and the speed is definitely as good or better than a Lynx I. Pivoting is about the same. Some strong sideways wind at the lower end of the little canyon we were in pushed it around a bit more than would have been the case with a Strike or Lynx I. My only complaint, and something that would be obvious just looking at either the solo or tandem, is that you are stretching your arms out more and you feel it a bit by the end of the day. I'm about 5'10". I would probably not recommend this model for paddlers with really short torsos. They would need to keep their elbows up so much that it might get tiring on longer trips.

We have had a ton of second hand feedback (more on the tandems, but quite a bit now on the solo model too) from customers, none of whom were under 5'4", and both the solo & tandem have been universally cheered. It's rare there isn't a detractor for any i.k. but so far we have not had a single person crabbing about the Outfitter solo or tandem.

John's slightly used O-1 sounds like a good buy considering most of the warranty remains (I know you are still in the planning stage).
We are also working with Denny from RMR on a new, longer solo i.k. that's similar in shape & spec's to the old Incept K34. The K34 is still to this day one of the best duckies I have ever paddled. I took a prototype out last month, and though the water was pretty low where I was paddling, the basic design seemed about 95% dialed in. It will be 11' long, so there is a lot of room for week-long self supported trips. The hull speed was excellent, as had been the case with the Incept. And it was very stable even when a certain doofus pilot hung up sideways on rocks. The width is about 38" now, but I am hoping to maybe drop that to 37".
We are trying to come up with a daisy-chain or D-ring strip front & rear on both sides to emulate the cargo tie-downs that the AIRE's have. It will be a while before this boat is available, but hopefully later on next year.

Good luck with the hunt!

theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote