Old 08-21-2012   #1
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Aire Heads

Alright all you Aire me out. I got a screamin' deal on two Aire double ducks...maybe 8-10 yrs old. Spent most of their life in CO. and they've returned home to grow old. Pretty good shape, but they have some leaks that need to be fixed.

I've patched the hell out of Hypalon over the years and I currently own a Maravia....but this bladder thing is new to me. I unzipped last night for the first time and was a little surprised...I guess I was expecting the inner bladder to be a little more beefy. A fair amount of sand in there as well.

So how do I patch these things??? Seems like patching the outer shell is all but worthless (I noticed one patch on the outer shell...why?). And then you have the floor bladders....which are also quite different.

So...if you don't mind....walk me through it. I want to get these babies out this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #2
West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
Many helpful videos at the Aire website, including patching:

Whitewater rafting and kayaking photos videos blog and adventure outfitters | AIRE

"Nothing says dirtbag like a mylar pillow with a spigot."
dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #3
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
First thing i'd do is get the s/n and model of boat. I dont think the kayaks have 10 yr warrantees but i'd check with Aire -- maybe some of the US made ones did. (warrantee is also shorter if purchased by a commercial outfitter). Keep in mind warrantee valid from sale date not born on date but if you dont have the proof of purchase they may have conveniently forgotten.

You can then determine if you have a bladder issue or a valve issue. Soap and water or swimming pool works.

There is no way you can do as effective a job patching as they could do "welding". Same goes for the bladders. The outer shell might need zipper work but usually you can do a simple interior pvc patch using staybond

If no longer under warrantee, You might find out what they want to "refresh them" or the cost of a new replacement bladder.

Otherwise i think staybond works well on the bladder if you have similar bladder material. Some use tearaid but i think its a temporary fix. Aire recommends patching the bladder on the outside but the valve hole is big enough you may be able to sneak a patch into the inside where i suspect the air pressure would work in your favor

Keep in mind if aire is doing the repair they can cut the bladder at the seam, weld in a new patch, and then weld again at the seam. As well as replace a much larger section than i would feel comfortable patching
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yes duckies are covered by AIRE.Strike, Tributary, and Tomcat, have different warrantees.If done properly, patches can be stronger then the original fabric.We have put patches both inside and out on the outer shell., though inside is better.The shell just shapes and protects the tube, is not airtight.You still want to patch it though to keep out grit and prevents water from filling the space between and effecting performance.The bladder is thick urethane and tougher than it looks, for pinhole leaks you can just dab staybond on it not even a patch.They used to sell clear tape for fast easy on river temporary repairs.I think you use a normal patch on the floor bladder.

I know a guy that stomps Super Max in a two man Lynx solo....enjoy.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote