Old 06-10-2012   #1
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Aire floor question?

I am looking at a 2006 Aire 156R with a standard floor pocket (self Bailer). I see the sealed floor pockets available as well. Anyone have any issues with the standard floor pocket? Will it drag in really shallow water? I have seen some of the bailers get over rocks in 8-10 inches of water and not get hung up like we do in my buddies bucket boat. Will this floor sit any lower in the water because it actually takes in a little water in the floor.

15 ft is a little bigger than i want but a good deal. A little less than i can get a new RMR raft 14 ft for.

mtfunfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #2
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98

The only difference you may or may not notice is that the standard floor pocket rafts seem to track a little better and don't get blown around quite so much, if you notice anything at all, that is. I've rowed both and couldn't really tell the difference.

Either way Aire's are great boats backed by the best warranty and customer support in the industry.

slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #3
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
They're maybe an inch lower. The floor is cut to hold the bladder pretty tightly, so they don't really sag much.

The standard floor pocket holds water and helps pull you over some waves, and gets blown around by wind less.
The sealed floor pocket surfs a lot better. :laughing:

My buddy took my 156R down both the upper and lower Lochsa this weekend at 9kcfs with a bunch of small adults, only one of them had ever been on the river before. He likes a wet ride and hits every small and medium-sized hole. They ran it clean.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #4
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
I no likey them at all. They feel up with water and add weight to the boat making them harder to move around on the water. They feel up with sand and you need to get in there and clean the blatter area out every now and then. A total pain in the butt. The zippers get all mucked up with grit. Went you pull them out of the water you need to let the water drain out of the floor. Yeh, its just a couple minutes, but it sucks when porting or loading. Just my take. other ppl love them..
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #5
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I don't disagree. They don't make the boat quick. They give the boat a lot of inertia. Hard to get moving, but once it gets going, keeps going. Plan ahead.

I don't have much silt in this area, so it's a non-issue for me.

Definitely true about needing to let it drain before loading.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #6
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I have a 156r with the standard floor pocket, tracks really well, the floor draining is not really an issue, takes about 5 minutesand the extra weight really does give you that extra umph when hitting holes (whick I constantly do) I opened up the floor and tubes at the end of last season and I found no silt bild up that I was worrying about, must of been that last westwater trip that water was running clear. This years low water is a bummer as I only got it out on the river 3 times so far this year. Thank god we have a 14 ft as an option.
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #7
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
I have a 156R, a 2006 model. I took it down the Grand in muddy water and had no silt or sand. They are great boats!
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #8
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by jpbay
I have a 156R, a 2006 model. I took it down the Grand in muddy water and had no silt or sand. They are great boats!
You guys sound like a bunch of Saturn owners
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #9
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Buy It

No issues with my 1994? 156E. Pump the floor up tight and it only takes in maybe half gallon of water. Non issue.

No silt issues or zipper issues either. Only had to unzip once to untwist a tube.

And no size issues - I can use it as a loaded gear boat one week, then R-2 small 400 cfs creeks the next.

BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote