Old 08-21-2009   #1
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Adding Batons to Thwarts

Good friday everybody,

I have a very nice Aire, that is currently setup for an oar rig. Aire was nice enough to send me thwarts when I bought the boat, but I have not installed them. Reading the manual it looks like it could be a serious pain in the butt.

So I had a brain fart. NRS rafts have a very cool system with this black plastic paddle/baton whatever it is called that just slips the thwart and boat together.

Great idea for the occasional paddle trip.

Questions obviously arise.
1. has anybody retrofitted their non NRS boat with these, and how well do they work.
2. Speaking with the local expert, he pointed out some glue that will bond rubber & PVC. Has anybody had any experience with this glue, and how well does it work?
3. Any other suggestions?

Likely I will be running my boat oar rig 95% of the time, but getting a few friends to go and do laps on Shoshone without having to haul out the frame, oars, drybox & cooler for seats, etc.... we all know the drill, has a certain appeal.

Looking for input - thanks

skyegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #2
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
If you have the Aire where the thwarts attach to the floor laces, it is really easy and quick to set up.

atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #3
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
Do the thwarts have straps attached to them? Is the boat a lace in floor with crisscrossed rope? If so, Place your thwarts where you want them. The with boat half inflated, run a thwart strap through the X part of the rope at the floor. Count up a few X's and run the other strap through. Make sure that you are counting from the front or back so your thwarts are even. When you get all thwarts placed and like the setup, go back with a sharpie and mark the locations for the thwarts. Then you can move them forward or back depending on the setup you want. I have played around with doing the install fully inflated, fully deflated and about half way inflated. I find half way is easier. Once you take them in and out a few times, you will find that it's pretty easy.
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
My aire actually has pins that hold the thwarts in, has female ends glued / attached to the thwart and another glued/attached to the tube itself, the pin holds them together.. not sure if that helps? - wondering why Aire didnt explain that? good luck!
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #5
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
The newer aire boats strap the twart to the floor lacing, which is pretty easy on my Aire Super Super Puma.

I have also added the batton one this to a PVC boat I used to own that had fixed twarts. I removed them and added some of these from Star:
Star Inflatables rafts and kayaks. Inflatable fishing boats, inflatable rafts and inflatable kayaks. Paddle rafts, Bug Series, row frames and accessories by Star Inflatables. - StarInflatables
It was easy, these are made to glue on to PVC with your regular patch glue, what ever PVC glue you prefer, I like Clifton.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #6
Paddling Since: 1994
1.yes. i like the "card" system. that said, as mentioned, your thwarts arent that bad to put in with the method described above.

2.there certainly is glue that bonds rubber to plastic well, but if you are going to do it, why not put pvc "card" thwart attachments and keep it like to like.

3. lace them in a few times, if you hate it, install the "card" system. most of aire's E and puma series boats have tapered thwarts, be careful when placing your boat and thwart patches so they sit where you want them.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote