Old 04-07-2013   #1
Anchorage, Alaska
Achilles 14' Bucket

Hey there. I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some opinons on a raft. Ive been looking at getting a boat for a while now, but I'm young and broke, so my ideal set-up will probably have to wait. I'm looking for something to fish, hunt and run mellow whitewater up here in Alaska. I would really PREFER an sb boat but that might not be in the cards. Right now I'm trying to keep the bill under 1,500, which i think is doable just maybe not ideal.

Right now there is a 14' Achilles bucket boat up on craigslist for $1,300. See link here. This guy says there is two "small patches" in the bow. Boat comes with frame and oars.

So what do you think. Good deal? Or should I keep scraping the bottom (of craigslist) looking for something better. I did see a 12' tributary with frame and oars up for 1450 the other day but it was gone by the time i got the chance to call.

bigfishhunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #2
Anchorage, Alaska
oops SEE LINK HERE : Achilles River Raft

Old 04-07-2013   #3
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
The best advice I could give you would be to not get in a hurry. Just stay on craigslist every day cause good deals go fast but they are out there. Also check out the gear swap on NRS website. Last summer I picked up a 13' Odyssey Self bailer with a nice breakdown Recretec frame and a set of carlisle oars. The set up was in perfect condition and I only paid $900 for the whole package. I know deals like that are hard to come by but they do happen. You just have to be patient and diligent. I am originally from Petersburg Alaska so I know how cold the rivers are up there. If you can swing a self bailer it is definitely the way to go. Bailing or sponging out freezing cold water is no fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	5948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1148.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	5949  

Rogue Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #4
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
1300 is in the ballpark but maybe a little on the high side for that setup. I'd try to pick up that rig for about $1000. Achilles are actually pretty good little hypalon Japanese made boats. As long as they hold air and everything else checks out I wouldn't be afraid of a couple patches. Heck in a sub 1500 raft/fame/oar package I would expect some repair work!

No shame in starting with a bucket boat. If you don't overpay it will be worth the same in 3-5 years if you want to sell and upgrade. But I bet if you are patient you could find a SB package in your price range. Either way this probably won't be the last raft you ever own, and that's okay.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #5
Anchorage, Alaska
Thanks for the input. I got him down to 1200 but he says that is as low as he will go. The back seat is mounted on a motor transom and I have a 9.9 four stroke that would be perfect for sockeye dipnet season on the kenai. I think im going to pull the trigger while i have the cash.