Old 06-02-2005   #1
5.10 Water Tennie vs. NRS Attack Shoe

I have 5.10 Hydraulic's now and I love them, but they're falling apart (again). I like the sticky rubber of the 5.10's, but wonder about the durability. I'd hope they'd hold up better than my Hydraulics for $90. I also wonder about the buckles. Anyone ever get them caught on bulkhead wing nuts when exiting the boat? They're kind high profile.

The NRS Attack shoes look a bit more streamlined. I hear that they rubber isn't as sticky, though. Any testimonials for either model? I need something for creekin' and hiking in the Black Canyon this summer.

Curtis_Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #2
dropzone, Colorado

I just got the water tennies, but only had a few days to test them out... They seem like a great creekin' shoe, very sturdy, and they look like they will be more durable than my nemos were.

One thing to note is that the take up a lot of room in the boat because the have pretty substantial soles. I had to cut out some foam from the pillar in my gus to make them fit, which was not necessary for the nemos.

They seem very supportive and good for long hikes, and the rubber is definitely sticky. I think they run small, as I wear a 42.5, which fits perfectly, whereas my normal size would be a 44. I wouldn't worry about the buckles catching, but these shoes are not the easiest to get on and off.

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #3

My H3 only has a plastic pillar in the front of the cockpit rim, so it should have more room to work with up front. Are your Nemos the same size as your Water Tennies or was the size 44 referring to your Nemos?
Old 06-02-2005   #4
dropzone, Colorado
my nemos are the same size as the water tennies, but i wear a 44 5.10 climbing shoe. You should be ok if you go with the same size as your current 5.10 water shoes. As far as room in the boat, they are like having a really snug pair of running shoes on, so if that would fit you should be good to go.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #5
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
I've been wearing the water tennis for about 6yrs and am on my 4th pair. I love how sticky they are especially for boating in humid areas that all the rocks on shore are super slippery. The durability is definately an issue my current pair are all ripped up and I need a new pair, I would love to find soemthing that has the support and stickiness but better durability no luck so far though.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #6
Thanks for the replies. I ordered a pair last week. I only creek about 20 days per season, so hopefully they'll hold up for a bit.
Old 07-05-2005   #7
Foco/Red Cliff (Vail), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I have the NRS attack and I like them. They are a bit hard to get on, but they are great after that. I have not had any other shoe.
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #8
I ended up buying the Water Tennie's and they're great. Saved my butt in the Black Canyon. Ended up having to hike out S.O.B. gully to get help when a member of our party broke her ankle. Then hiked back in to retrieve my gear. They took a beating, but I'd think that not many shoes could hold up to this abuse. The sticky soles rock. They added a big margin for safety when going up or sliding down 45 degree slick rock.