Old 05-08-2009   #1
Charlotte, North Carolina
4Fun question

So this is my first post over here...don't worry I have search the forum for an answer couldn't really find what I needed

Anyways I've been boating for a little over a year and recently (about 4 months ago) purchased a 4fun. I am 5'11" 210ish and I cant seem to keep the bow from squirting and generally burying the boat when I paddle. I don't know if its my seat position but I am within the weight limits of the boat. I am open to any suggestions on outfitting, seat position, posture anything really.

*Edit I just realized that this is probably in the wrong forum...sorry, mods feel free to move it*

swsheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #2
x, x
Paddling Since: x
You might be too far forward, or carry alot of weight in your shoulders. Either way though, that is what the boat is supposed to do. You need to pull up with your legs while paddling to keep it from diving under. You could try moving your seat but before you do that have a buddy check your waterline to see if you sit evenly level in flat water, next is how deep you sit on your edges, once your level you want to see how deep in the water you sit. That is determined by how far your nose and tail sit out of the water. example if your nose and tail are touching out by the tips you are heavy, if they are way out of the water you are light, and your waterline contact points are further back on the surface. I am guessing your sitting deep in the water, try a bigger boat of said model (super fun.)I just got used to it, a few days of sub surface paddleing and it will get easyer, just got to work harder.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #3
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I had been paddling a Big EZ for about 4 years when I switched to a Jackson 4Fun. Needless to say I had the Big EZ dialed in so the change really threw me off-this might be part of your problem. I also found that I had to move my seat back several times until I found the "sweet spot". Once I was positioned correctly in the boat I had a lot more fun in my 4Fun. I found that I was 1.5-2 inches back from the "recommended" position on the Jackson website. I say play around with your positioning until it feels right then lock it in.
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #4
I don't know if this helps but here is a video my buddy took yesterday of me at the cement ditch...I'm the guy hand paddling, feel free to critique

Ryan and Sh. Sh. - Comp Channel USNWC May 7 2009 on Vimeo
Old 05-08-2009   #5
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I am 6'1 and 215 and my 4-fun works out fine. perhaps you are a bit forward. your video didn't point to anything obvious and perhaps it is just something you will have to get used to. I used to paddle a super fun, but it always felt too big.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I think it's just the nature of the beast. I have the same experience in my 4Fun and moving the seat back helps.....some. It still perls some.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #7
Thats what I thought I guess I haven't found the sweet spot yet I moved my seat back but I the stern would get real grabby...I guess its just the nature of the beast
Old 05-08-2009   #8
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think you might notice a bit more than others too if your always hand paddling. I seem to sit forward more and reach out to the front of my boat more with hand paddles - but I have not mastered them yet either......
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #9
I need to go back to using a stick, I used one the other day and was all over the place. Paddling to me just feels more natural with hand paddles
Old 05-08-2009   #10
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

Hand paddling is a blast, and it's a perfect way to connect to the water. If can be a bit of a challange to find your balance. Hand paddling a play boat is often harder than paddling a larger boat. Your weight is thrown more forward and backwards than when using a paddle. Try rotating your hips forward in the seat, and try to be concious of your balance. Is your weight (chest) over your thighs or is it over your hips. The more centered you are the more options you have. Bob is correct on using your legs more, but you can only feel this affect if your weight is over your hips. If your chest is too far forward it's putting all the weight onto your feet and forces the bow to dive.

When you sit in your kayak, try to focus on your tailbone. Is your weight on it, or is it off the seat? To un-weight it stick your chest forward and roll your hips forward. You can change the balance with having to move the seat.

I'm 6ft 185 and paddle the JK Fun. The trim looked fine in the video. Just remeber to focus on your personal body position.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote