2015 JK 4 Fun? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2016   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
2015 JK 4 Fun?

Has anyone paddled this? How does it compare with the Superfuns? Is it equally stable? Easy to roll? Thank you for any opinions on this boat.
JIMM.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016   #2

El Jebel, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have a 2015 4 fun. I don't know how it compares to the superfun but....It is very stable...a bit too roomy up front, I had to add extra foot foam (can't stand the happy feat) It is different to roll. You can roll any boat with practice. I do recommend taking it to the pool or big deep eddy first to practice. Have fun!
neilonthesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016   #3

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The 2015 4Fun is narrower than the SuperFun - it felt like it had less width in the seat and the knees are definitely closer together. If I weighed in around 225 I'd likely have grabbed one, but at my weight (265) it just didn't seem to have the all day comfort the SuperFun has.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016   #4

Plymouth, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2012
I weigh 230, I'm 5'10", and I've paddled both.

The 2015+ Jackson 4-fun is a pretty fun all day river running boat. It's more river runner than playboat by far with these latest changes. They changed the tail shape up a bit, lengthened it, and added volume. This means the boat isn't nearly as interested in stern squirting as other boats. Good for running more exciting rivers and water, not so good for river play. Yeah yeah it can be done, but it can't reasonably be done without a notable amount of exertion, so for downriver play I'd count it out for that. Surfs good, runs rivers good, decently fast, rolls plenty fine. If you've got a good roll, the 4 fun will roll just as good as any other well done Jackson kayak. I've taken it to the Bend WW park. Plays around pretty fun in the bottom hole. Not really great for cartwheeling, not miserable. Fun boat, but if you're looking to playboat, not the flavor.

The 2010+ Jackson Superfun is a BIG boat. 70 some odd gallons. It's REALLY wide. It surfs great, but overall, just a bit of a tub. Plays okay, doesn't roll great as it's so wide it's a lot of boat to turn over. Decent in a hole. Not great for river running as that big long flat tail gets grabbed and squirts you out or flips you over. It does stern squirt alright so that's pretty fun. Overall though, it's just not that great of a boat unless you're a real brute and no other options exist.

I would personally recommend just going with two boats: A boat to make hard things easier (Karma), and a boat to make easy things harder (Rockstar). These boats that try and shoot the middle just wind up not being great at anything in my experience.

The new Rockstar is a really fun downriver play boat that I'm all about at your build. The 2014 wasn't bad either, although not as friendly for getting vertical. The 2016 is really quite friendly in good amounts of water, the 2014 is even more friendly as it's got a bit more volume and it's placed a bit higher up and more central to the paddler.
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I just started paddling a 2016 4-fun this summer. It's too slicey for true play boat performance but it does surf pretty well and it's faster than a play boat. I'm 195 and it has plenty of buoyancy for my weight. I don't feel the stern being pulled under while going through drops which makes it pretty stable. It's also easy to roll. My only minor complaint is that the outfitting isn't as plush as in past years, and the thigh braces could be a little more substantial, but overall the outfitting is fine. If you're looking for a fun downriver boat that can carve and surf then you probably won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Old 07-13-2016   #6

littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
What is everyone's thoughts non a person 6'3" 210. I have had a 4 Fun and a Varun and maybe due to my size the tail seems to grab and auto-eject b/4 you can react...thoughts...
colo4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #7

Plymouth, New Hampshire
The new 4-fun does NOT have a grabby tail. They've added a lot more volume back there and adjusted the shape notably. The old boats (4-fun, superfun) when water got over the tail would definitely eject you really quick. That is gone with this boat. On the flipside, you can't stern squirt with this boat with anything other than a REALLY strong eddyline. Flatwater moves are really difficult as well.

If you want a fun downriver playboat, the new Rockstars are great.

If you want a fun downriver surfing boat that can still river run, this boat does surf better than the new rockstars but is just as comfortable river running in.
Old 07-13-2016   #8

littleton, Colorado
Thanks for the thoughts. I have got to the mindset that I will not find a play boat that works with my side. I know it comes with practice but they all seem fine in rough water but when I get into flat swirling water it is a wake to face trick faster khan I can react
Old 07-13-2016   #9

Plymouth, New Hampshire
The swirly aftermath of a rapid tends to be a pretty common place for beginners to fresh intermediate paddlers to struggle.

Check out the new 2016 rockstar, or the 2014 in size large as it has a lot of volume and space along with tail volume to be a friendly enough river runner!
Old 07-13-2016   #10

littleton, Colorado
Thanks for all of the direction