2014 vs 2016 Jackson Rockstar - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-27-2016   #11
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

I actually do like the overpriced footbag despite all the problems. It's very comfortable when set up properly but all the above problems are true. By the time I put the overpriced balloons under my skirt, there are like half a dozen hoses flopping around in my boat as well.

KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016   #12

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
Oh hellllll no with that nonsense! I've done everything with them. I've put foam behind them, I've followed every tutorial, I've tried them in many different boats, they suck!

Sure, you can get them setup decently to pretty darn good. Only then some of them break (in my case: 4/5 pairs have failed on me, some before even leaving the shop) and therefore start to leak. That means every time you get in the boat, the setup is a bit different. Adjust and reflate, oh hey the moved, or as they deflate or air gets into the bean bag it changes shape and suddenly your ankles are under stress.

There's a reason the overwhelming majority of people toss these things away and talk shit about them. They're garbage.

Sweet cheeks on the other hand, depending on the boat, are pretty darn sweet! Again though, they're a hit or miss product that fails and when it fails it's frustrating and a major performance inhibitor (sliding around all over the seat, bunched up wads of bean bags under one side or the other, etc etc).

For the price of these boats jackson should ship them with a foam foot option, and a seat pad option people can put on themselves.
I suppose that depends on your luck. I also might be a little lucky to not need to add air to the front compartment. I only use the beanbag chamber, and apparently have never had any leak, as they have never needed adjustment in a year of use.

I'm not sure how the bean bag compartment is going to get a leak if you keep the air out, and don't put something sharp to them.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #13

Plymouth, New Hampshire
I believe receiving a one-size-fits-all product that just happens to perfectly fit you with no adjustments would classify as "lucky" and not really a fair assessment of a products quality.
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #14

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
I believe receiving a one-size-fits-all product that just happens to perfectly fit you with no adjustments would classify as "lucky" and not really a fair assessment of a products quality.
Of course, as you mentioned in an earlier post, you can always add a little shim in front of it, to avoid using the air chamber in front. I guess the main point is that there are actually a fair amount of people who do use those happy feet. They aren't just trash, and should someone like you order one, they do say they give an option for a bulkhead, at least from Jackson's website.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #15

Boise, Idaho
I love the Happy Feet in my 2014 Rockstar - I don't have to use the air chamber, and the beanbag chamber is perfectly molded to my feet and far more comfortable than any foam footblock you could make.

However, in my '13 Superstar, which is a little bigger, I could never get the Happy Feet to stay put and conform like I need them to. I have to wear bigger shoes and spend a lot of time setting up the Happy Feet each time, so I swapped them for foam blocks and they work okay enough.

I finally paddled a '16 Rockstar this weekend, and I didn't really like it in comparison to my '14. I like that the '14 feels a little bigger and more bulbous, has more volume and pop. The '16 just feel like an older Allstar to me, and even has those very square, defined knee walls that the older Jackson playboats used to have.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #16

Plymouth, New Hampshire
Quick little update:

My girlfriend has now paddled the 2016 Rockstar, and the 2014 Rockstar in a size medium. She's very much sold on the medium. Reviewing the boats and specs, it looks like the medium didn't change volume, but did change rocker profile.

Our groups combined amateur observation is it seems to me like they really nailed the 2014 rockstar in medium, while the large was excessively large. The volume reduction along with rocker reduction in the large yielded a great configuration for the likely size of paddler to be in the large boat (5'10"+), however the rocker reduction in the medium for 2016 seems to have reduced the comfort of it a fair bit while seemingly not gaining much.

So if you're looking at the differences between the mediums versus the large, bear those differences in mind.

That said, none of our group paddling either boat in either size thinks any of them are a bad choice. It just seems the medium paddlers prefer the 2014, and the large paddlers prefer the 2016.
Old 07-11-2016   #17

Plymouth, New Hampshire
Oh... and everyone in our group hates the happy feet in all of the model and size combos (14/16 med/larg) and has removed them

That's really not all that important to the review of the boat though.
Old 07-11-2016   #18

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
+1 for happy feet.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote