Old 10-21-2011   #21
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I don't suppose anyone has a date on when the new models will be out(zen)? Or when the older models (super hero, monstar) boats will be updated.
Marty would know best, but I believe that the end of November is a good time to expect the 2012 boats to arrive at some dealers. Hero's and Rock Stars...The Zen's are Dec/January?

Yea, Team JK has been hammering on those things for a while. We have heard good things about them also.

ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #22
Hendersonville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1998
My new ride. The skirt should be here this week, can't wait to get it in the water -

01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #23
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The Zen sounds pretty awesome. Looking forward to trying it.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #24
OlyPen, Washington
Concerning the older Side Kick's bulkhead-mounted foot adjustment:

I bought one of these boats in 2008 for myself. While I like having a big solid object to push off of with my feet, the problem is that an adult cannot get the footrest to stay put. The cords do not lock in strongly enough to overcome foot pressure from an adult, let alone an adult with strong legs and torso. Might be fine for a child, though.

Fortunately, my legs are long enough that the default (tip of bow) position that the footrest slides down to is OK for me. If it were not, I would jam a shaped piece of extra-dense, hard foam in there to take up the space and ditch the stock string-controlled footrest. Even when the stock footbrace stayed in place, it had a lot of side-to-side wiggle. It is just not designed for the foot pressure of adults even if those adults are small enough to fit in the boat.

It is possible to install footpeg rails without drilling the hull at all, in a fiberglass kayak. There's a very simple, neat workaround using an odd part available from McMaster-Carr plus fiberglass and epoxy, plus some customization on the footpeg rail using hand tools. I did it when I made a wood kayak. However, I don't think it would work with plastic hulls.
H2UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #25
Boulder, Colorado
I haven't seen the Jackson foot peg rails, but I'd bet money they'd be bolted to nuts buried in the plastic at mold time, and not drilled.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #26
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The new Jackson SideKick I checked out at Confluence in Denver in September - which I understood to be a 2011 model - had foot pegs/rails with the mounting holes drilled through the sidewalls - two holes/two bolts on each side. Perhaps they did that because the boat is primarily a kid's boat? Who knows.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #27
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I replaced the pastic cleat with a metal one in my Little Hero. Have never had problems with it slipping again. I think the bulkhead system is great. I would hate to see them go back to footpegs. Yuk!
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #28
chicago, Illinois
I like the crosslink plastic, coz it's lighter than SL plastic, I can feel it when holding side by side, and the scratches on crosslink is barely visible comparing to SL plastic. But yes, crosslink breaks, I have 2 friends cracked their crosslink playboats just over 1 and a half year, one of them cracked it on the rim of cockpit. That does scare me a bit buying a crosslink boat, especially used ones.
romerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #29
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
OK... Sorry Buzzards. A bit buried these days and simply trying to keep in front of a tidal wave of work with orders due this time of season.

You all have great questions, and let me try to answer as many as I can. I encourage anyone to email me at any time with questions as well. marty at jackson kayak dot com.

Regarding foot rails: They are not being used on ANY kayaks this year. The only ones we have used them on in the past were the Side kick, and last year we tested it with the Little Hero. WHY? Cost. The Unishock bulkhead system is seriously expensive. Not sorta... I mean big bucks. It's requires a good bit of time to install during production and the whole system together is costly (injection molded foot braces, thick ass mini cell for foot blocks, thermo formed "H" channel, LONG and super strong minicell pillar and this thing adds up quick. Parents are typically trying to save money and the fact that most kids (beyond Dane and few others) aren't hucking much in Side kicks, this seemed reasonable to reduce the price significantly. Well in 2012, we are now making a special sized Unishock bulk head for the Side kick and putting the regular unishock into the Little Hero... That is now a thing of the past.
There are no other kayaks in our ww line up that will have foot braces, nor have they ever had them (beyond the side kick and little hero).
The Zen series (which is F'n AMAZING), will ship in late january. This boat is going to change things a lot for the JK lineup. This is a high volume river runner that is fast as can be, carves like a dream, will surf and will be the PERFECT Gore boat. I am so pumped up on this boat. By far the most gorgeous boat we have designed (in my humble opinion).
That post that jefe put up was my response to what is happening with our lineup and yes it's rather accurate.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #30
lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
hey Marty, can you give us any more info on the zen, sizes, specs, ect. can you creek in it if your an average paddler(I'm sure the jk team can but what about us mere mortals?)

MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote