Old 10-17-2011   #11
x, x
Paddling Since: x
I doubt highly it is about profit, jackson makes awesome boats for both creeking and playboating now but they first started out with mostly playboats/riverrunner. now that they have the dough and a super solid flat water line, more money will be avalible for R&D in the creeking dept. I think the whole going to linear is about that, and it is fixable. all boats break, espcially creekers displacement hulls the most. but with the new linear plastic you can weld it on the spot or at home.

I do not work for or speak for jackson, I am just sharing my thoughts.

I think the foot pegs could work, especially if there were a plastic peice at the pillar and the foam could be trimed to fit.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #12
x, x
Paddling Since: x
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post
Pegs = holes in the shell, and holes leak eventually. They did put plastic foot pegs in the 2011 SideKick, similar to ones I used in Perception boats 20+ years ago. The foot pegs were bolted through holes drilled in the shell - and holes eventually leak. A much less expensive setup than the bulkhead.

The bulk head setup is more user friendly for kids. It allows them to position their feet in any number of ways without losing foot traction. It's also quick and simple to adjust it vs. the pegs where you reach in and adjust it a notch or two, try it out, adjust again, wash, rinse, repeat. My kids rotate through the kayaks we have so easy adjustment is key for me. I was fortunate enough to find an older SideKick with the bulkhead when I bought one new from a shop this summer.

good point Z, it might just be the side kick, I could have swore I saw it in a hero, but I hope not. The bulk head is where it's at...

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #13
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
Jackson has great designs but the outfitting has been lacking( In my opinion compared to LL bad ass outfitting )
I agree with this statement, Just bought my first Jackson boat...a Villain (my reasons for buying were; on sale, crosslink plastic, 3 year warranty, local shop and two cracked Remixes in 2years) loving the boat, not the moves, seat cushion moves, back band slips. I would gladly trade a cup or two of water in the boat for some badass outfitting with a roto-molded seat. I do give them kudus for thinking outside the box on the outfitting though especially the's brillant...the other stuff would be too if it worked a little better.
I hope this talk of no more crosslink is not true as I'm liking the way my crosslink boat is looking after 20 runs...I have visions of it holding up as well as my buddies 13yo crosslink 'Y'.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #14
river zen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
The plastic should be better than both SL and XL

Quote- From 9-02-11

Jefe... Here is the official "deal'" with Cross link and JK. 3 years ago, the plastics industry started to alter cross link due to several issues. Very long story, but bottom line JK is the only kayak company that uses cross link and we are a pimple on the plastics industry's tail end, so we had absolutely no say in the changes. The strength of the material has nothing to do with why we had to make the change away from Cross link. The real issue is that the changes made to the material have created a massive bump in blemished boats. JK has a huge focus on quality. EJ is nuts about quality and doesn't allow boats to go out the door that are less than perfect. The blemishes are just that... little circles in the shell, little deformations, but nothing structural. Cross link is already better than a 20% bump to material cost and then factor in a 10% loss in revenues to us for blemish hulls coming out of the oven and you can see real quick that this was becoming a problem for our profitability.
To be more telling... We are not using the same SL in 2012 either. For the past year we have been working with the plastic mfc on a unique linear based resin that has properties not typically found in Linear based plastics. this stuff isn't cheap, but we think we have the magic recipe and it's been getting tested all over colorado and around the US and Canada for the last season. Bottom line its frick'n hard as hell, has great wear characteristics and all indications point to it being better than cross link has been for years. This isn't smoke and mirrors, it's really quite impressive.
For that reason, and for a first in JK's history, we have allowed our dealers to move out their existing 2011 builds at a discounted price. These boats are quite a steal right now... and it won't last long as our dealers don't have much inventory. They still have the same warranty/the best performance designs/and actually will have accessories such as sweet cheeks and happy feet that the 2012's wont come with. 2012 is going to see a change in everything from the resin that the shell is made of, as well as upgraded outfitting and even grab handles. That said, they wont ship with happy feet anymore and only the Rogues and Rock Stars will have the Sweet Cheeks for ww. All that will now be an accessory.
For anyone looking for a once only discount on a JK... now is the time. Most dealers are participating I think... The fact that we have such a strong warranty, should leave no one wondering about anything with the 2011's but the fact they are stoked to have a fantastic boat at a smoke'n price.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #15
Hendersonville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1998
I know that for the Super Heros, there's only one plastic available and it also has the bulkhead. I believe what Jefe posted is spot on .
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #16
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Has Jackson's marketing/communication methodology changed as well? There was a time when all this change info would have been available on their website. Are they concerned the info will affect the ability to sell out the existing stock of boats? Or has the focus simply shifted to all things fishing?
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #17
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
The Hero, Dynamic Duo, Villain, Fun Runner and Zen series will all come with the Unishock bulkhead, new outfitting, new backband, new seatpad, new grab handles, new thigh pads and a water bottle.
The Little Hero and Sidekick also come with the Unishock.
JK's team has been using the 2012 plastic for a while. The official statement is:
  1. Our new material is stiffer and wears better than anything we have used to date - feel it, push on it, use it!
  2. it is a linear resin and thus is weldable and recyclable.
Hope that helps.
ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #18
river zen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Super psyched for the new boats. Can't wait to get mine.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #19
White Salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't suppose anyone has a date on when the new models will be out(zen)? Or when the older models (super hero, monstar) boats will be updated.
Raw_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #20
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I saw one of the test boats the other week that had been through hell. It looked like it was holding up pretty well.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote