Old 09-27-2011   #1
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2011
2011 Hero or Little Hero?

So I need a new downriver boat - been paddling an old perception all season (got it for $100 to learn in and make sure I liked kayaking)... Definitely sticking with it - been playing in my new small Rockstar, so any time I get in a bigger boat it feels huge!

I tried a 2011 Hero last weekend and liked it a lot, but was wondering if the little Hero would be a good option? I'm 5'5" 130 28" inseam. Can get a good deal on either boat right now.

Would the 2011 Hero be the better option over the long haul?? - as I try more difficult bigger rivers? (Been paddling Class III, mostly - just tried the South Fork of the Payette and had a blast) The little Hero is 3 inches shorter, a couple inches narrower and a couple gallons smaller than the Hero.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs..

firepup21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #2
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I am 5'5 128lbs and paddle the little hero. Hubby has the Hero and it is way too big for me.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Dude. I'm 5'6" and 110 and I paddle a little hero. It's really great and I love it, but I have also paddled the hero a couple times and it totally seemed like it would be workable, if I got some good outfitting in there. I don't think it's splitting hairs, because the hero is quite a bit bigger then the little hero when it comes down to it. If you are planning on paddling some bigger water and you have the muscle to move it, then you might want to go with the hero, since not having a big enough boat really sucks (speaking from experience.)
However, you would probably fit in the little hero well too-my inseam is like 31, and if I get any taller it won't be long enough for my legs, but there is an insane amount of hip room for a smaller boat. Not that I'm saying you have insane hips...but ya know.
katealta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #4
Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the thoughts - I've had some folks say, get the Hero, you'll like having the little larger boat to punch through holes and stuff, especially since the 2011 is smaller than the older model. I have seen the Jackson experts answer this exact questions both ways - for some folks my size they recommend the little hero and some folks they say the 2011 Hero is the best choice.

I paddled the 2011 Hero last weekend and really liked it, for bigger rivers, bigger water I don't want to outgrow the Little Hero right away either.

2011 Hero - 7'4" long, 26" wide, 15" high, 76.5 gal. 39 lbs 115 - 190 wt. range

Little Hero - 7'1" long, 24" wide, 14" high, 75 gal, 34lbs, 90 - 150 wt. range
Old 09-28-2011   #5
Columbus, Indiana
I'd get the slightly bigger boat. Normally people getting a boat like the hero aren't getting it to do flips, and it looks like you fit right into the weight range especially after you put some gear in there.

Then get a small play boat later down the road. You'll be glad you have the slightly bigger boat for the hairy stuff and extra room.

Also, no one asked.....are you a full grown adult or a still growing youth? If you're still possibly growing definitely get the bigger boat that still fits you now.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #6
Boise, Idaho
Ok, its settled. Got the new 2011 Hero! Got a great price on a demo and they threw in a set of sweet cheeks too...I think its gonna be a great choice once I get it outfitted.

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone - see you on the river!
Old 09-29-2011   #7
Boise, Idaho
Oh, PS - as for the how old am I question? Turned 40 this year, so I'm full grown.. In fact I'll probably start shrinking now... yikes
Old 09-29-2011   #8
Boise, Idaho
Oh shoot... I'm too late on this thread but I would have seriously recommended a Remix over a Hero, given the rivers you run.

I run the Payette system too, and I have a Superhero that I really like, and it seems to do fine, but a Remix just does so much better than the SH for the Main, the South Fork, the Murtaugh, and other higher volume rivers we run.

If you start doing Deep Creek or the Malad or other creekier runs, then the Hero definitely works better.

But... the good news is you'll be fine. The Hero is a good boat.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #9
Boise, Idaho
I had a few other folks mention the Remix...I tried one back when I was learning, but I didn't know anything then, so it doesn't count. I guess I was feelin' that given my size 5'5"/130 lb and that I like to paddle my playboat often the shorter Hero was the way to go. (at least for now) I have a feeling there will be many more boats in my future... I'm just gettin' warmed up

Just wonderin' why you prefer the Remix over the Hero? Is it a speed or carving thing?
Old 09-29-2011   #10
Boise, Idaho
I bought my Superhero because I wanted the stability of edges, but also because I wanted a 90 gallon boat.

However, while it works absolutely fine on the rivers you and I tend to run, a Remix (and actually, a Stomper too) work better because they are faster and punch holes a lot better. They might be easier to roll but they also track and move better with fewer strokes on higher volume rivers.

Really, the differences are probably minor and the Hero is a fine boat that will do any run you want to do. I go back and forth about my Superhero until I realize I'm not doing the North Fork anytime soon so my SH will be just fine.

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote