Old 11-07-2010   #1
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
2007 vs 2010 Star series

Does anyone out there paddle a 2010 Star series boat. I have a 2007 Star and am thinking of upgrading (no chance to demo one). I am concerned that it will not be as good for river running. I take my Star on mostly everything I paddle up to 3+.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #2
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I haven't paddled the 10 model, but I've taken a good long hard look at it, and sat in it at the shop.

My gut says, it isn't going to be as good of a down river boat as your current model.

To me it appears Jackson sliced and diced the Star series to be as pure of a playboat as possible.

I think they also took many of the features of the old Star design and incorporated them into the new Fun series.

If you are looking for a downriver playboat I would look long and hard at the new Fun.

BTW - I love my 07 AllStar going down river. My buddy got a 2010 but it was at the end of the season, so I don't have any beta from him about it going down river.

You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #3
bc, CA
Thanks for the feedback. I would not consider going to a fun series. I started in that boat and upgraded to a Star. I have a Little Hero for the stuff I don't feel like running in my Star.
Any body else out there paddled the 2010 star series and the 2007 series. I would love to hear comparisons, like surfing and river running.
My goal is to loop my boat this year. I can't quite do it yet!
Old 11-08-2010   #4
The Bitterroot, Montana
I paddled a 07 with really bad outfitting problems (no surprise for a jackson) and demoed a 10. I am a terrible palyboater but had a blast in the 2010. VERY short boat. It almost auto cartwheeled the first time I crossed a powerful eddy line but by the end of the day I got the feel for peeling it out. I took it down the whole alpine canyon run at around 9 grand and had a blast.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #5
bc, CA
Hi Montucky,
I am not familiar with the Alpine canyon run. How hard is it? I live in Canada.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I want one more than ever now. Did you surf it much?
Old 11-08-2010   #6
The Bitterroot, Montana
Alpine canyon is bigwater class III. At 9 grand there are still some big stompy freestyle features that check in closer to class IV if you are in them but they are fairly easy to move around. Although the eddylines loose their bite once things drop below 11 grand there are still a few powerfull ones to play around in. I watched my buddy in do a mystery move in a modern play boat at 18 grand. Not intentional.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I work at a camp in Vermont during the summer that runs a trip to the Rapid River in Maine, and last summer we got an '10 all-star. My buddy who came to meet us there brought his all-star, which i think was an '07, but it might have been an earlier or later model. Regardless, it was definitely that same generation as the '07, and the difference was clear.

Rapid River has a particularly nice hole, called Smooth Ledge, that is pretty predictable and good for most moves, skill dependent, during the weekend releases. At one point my buddy had to leave, without his boat, so I got to try the two back to back for hours at this hole.

I first tried my buddy's '07 all star in '08, in this same hole, and I remember being shocked at how smooth the boat transitioned and spun, likening the experience to "butter on a hot frying pan." However, having spent most of the summer and the trip playing in the '10 all star, it made the previous model feel more sluggish, but also more forgiving. The new all star feels so much shorter, and it flys around like a wild bitch, spinning with the slightest effort and huge pop and release. However, because it is so much looser you have to watch your edges more than the '07, which also felt like a little more weight, which made cartwheels and spins seem more controlled.

We camped at the bottom of the river, below smooth ledge, so I could run S-Turn, which is probably a solid III even though its marked IV, with no problems. The new all star does not have great speed, nor great stability, but it sounds like it would be fine as a replacement for your '07, assuming you're able to keep the '07 upright on III+.

Hope this helps
muffinman2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #8
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
Having paddled and taught in both the '07 and '10 superstars, I would say the new '10 star lacks a little bit of the river running capability that the '07 has. It still is fun for river running, but can get a little heavy in the stern and is not as fast for making ferries or carving eddy turns. However, it is an amazing playboat. If you are looking to work on your playboat moves (and get that loop), the new Star is a great way to go. But keep your '07 for those days when you are hitting big water class IV and really want the speed and carving ability.
hossknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I think you should go with the '10 model. I learned to loop in my 2007 Fun this year and near the end of the season was trying to get the flatwater double pump and cartwheel but just wasn't getting it. Last saturday a friend and I went to the pool, i got in his 2010 star and on my first try did a two end cartwheel and then a splitwheel. And if your running up to class 3 in your star, I don't think you'll have a problem with the new one.
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #10
bc, CA
So much food for thought...
I do also have a little Hero for the bigger stuff. Maybe I should just wait till spring and demo. I am being a little impatient because I thought it would be fun to have for pool sessions this winter.