Old 01-08-2010   #11
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
so I really don't see the point at all of getting a big cat and trying to load it up.

Cats are best for running whitewater without lots of people or a heavy load. If you need to carry people or gear use a raft.

think of a cat as something like a large kayak and you are on the right track.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #12
C. Springs, Colorado
IMHO If you want to haul gear you might want to look at NRS tubes or something similar. You know you have too much loaded on a cat when the floor touches the water. You want to weight it with the floor a couple of inches out of the water or it will be a real pig to control. That said....I can load my 14' Avon with probably twice the gear as my 14' NRS cat. Good Luck and SYOTR.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #13
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
My 16' (NRS rivercat) has made it down browns below 200 cfs with no problem. I would never hesitate to take it down the Grand. I personally think it will hold more gear than a 16' NRS e-series raft (and have had friends with 16' rafts comment, "Wow, I didn't know a cat could eat up all that gear." Full floor is the key. I bought mine because I wanted a oar boat that can do it all. It had to be able to do class V and be able to take 3 people down the Grand. I've even ran it as a paddle boat before. Running just me and 2 passengers, I can treat the river like I do in a kayak (playin with the river instead of just floating down it.)
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #14
I have a friend who puts an IK between the tubes and under the frame of his cat to increase itís load capacity.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #15
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by cadster View Post
I have a friend who puts an IK between the tubes and under the frame of his cat to increase itís load capacity.
That is what I did last summer on the Grand with a Lynx II when a weld on my frame cracked. It really picked up the load, but it looked like I had a bad accident with another boat.
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #16
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by northfwestg View Post
ask ihwmt, shes the queen of the cat
No, I know nothing about a cat as a gear boat, and when I run the grand next, it'll probably be on a 15' cat, tops. I'd love to take my little Legend, but unless I'm the PH like Mania (and can make everyone else carry the gear ), I'd never get enough stuff on it. But, it does load like a dream, but I was lucky enough to have good advice from many others running the exact same boat. I found it not to be particular, as I unloaded it over 6 days, I just found surfing to get easier and more pleasant.

The right Buzzards for this Question are Rich and Dgosn. Rich since he boats in CO (I know there are others out there also....), and Dgosn, because he rips it up on a huge gear cat. His cat is Monstrous, yet he rips it up on high water Lochsa, and high MF Salmon. Keep in mind, I believe he's getting a little Sotar Legend.

There's also been some talk on bigger cats over on the GCPBA yahoo group.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #17
Engineer Civil Structural Hydraulic, Evans CO
Paddling Since: 68
For 6 people, you need 3 boats....unless you sacrifice comfort. It's not the the length of the boat, but its displacement. Some 14s out perform other 16s by diameter as well as length in the water. Ask your manufacturer for a draft vs displacement curve.
Gary Strome
Friends Don't Let Friends Drive PVC Boats
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #18
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
i too, have a little cat. 12' hyside w/ marshall frame. it will tote gear, but handles like a bus when overloaded, i have done it, several times but would not on big water. if you can travel light, IE tote your share of goods (light) with the smaller cat, maybe the rafters will carry the heavier, more easily loaded square stuff.

next GC, I'll be in the 12' packed like a kayaker+100 lbs+me

16' for the quiver is perfect.

Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote