Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 12-12-2011   #11

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
The mulan is rated 125 to 190 lbs. why does everyone think the mulan would be too big for a 130 lbs guy with 10 lbs of gear and 5 lbs of water??? Thats about 145 to 150 lbs of actual wet weigth. Thats right were ya want to be. IMHO

The weight ranges for playboats need to be taken with a grain of salt. A 190 pound dude in a medium would not be happy. If your 130 pounds, and super ripped, maybe a medium molan would work. I imagine its going to be difficult to get the boat to behave the way you want it to with that volume weight distribution.

I'm 5'9", 140 pounds, and paddle a 44 gallon nemesis. I would prefer some more volume but not enough to get a medium, which would be too large. I can control the boat fairly well. I personally would get a small molan.

If it's really bad and you can't sit in your boat for longer than a couple hours, maybe just get the medium, idk, demo that shit.

Old 12-12-2011   #12
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Squeezing in a boat too small is the worst. I'd rather have a boat too large. Considered older designs that might have more room? Melting plastic to get some extra space depending on where you're tight? It's definitely nice to be in the center of the recommended weight range in playboats. I'm ~155 lbs and find 56 gallon boats are usually enough or too much volume for my tastes depending on the design. Really good playboaters of course can throw around a lot more boat.

Old 12-13-2011   #13

For what it's worth... I'm 5'8 and 165lbs. The Medium Molan is an ideal size for me. I wouldn't want to weigh more because the pop is good, and I fit like a glove without any outfitting, and using the factory sized foam block.

If you are lighter it is going to be harder to throw the boat around in the flats or stall all day, but you will surf and bounce better, probably loop higher. If you want to stern and bow stall all day long, get a Varun or full on squirt boat. Boat designs are supportive of very different types of freestyle these days, thus major discrepancies in what weight range vs volume calculations is appropriate.

If you decide the med Molan is right for you (I love mine), then you might find that raising the seat is useful to give you more leverage to compensate for being on the lighter side of the boat.
Old 12-15-2011   #14

Columbus, Indiana
Just picked up a medium Molan for $583. Brand new from a dealer. I figure if I end up wanting something with smaller volume once I get some seat time in this, I'll be able to sell it and not really lose anything for that price.

If anyone wants one, there is a Medium and a Small left at a shop in Louisville. PM me if you want more details.

Thanks for all of the help guys!
Old 12-15-2011   #15

StrangeVille, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs1 View Post
Just picked up a medium Molan for $583. Brand new from a dealer. I figure if I end up wanting something with smaller volume once I get some seat time in this, I'll be able to sell it and not really lose anything for that price.

If anyone wants one, there is a Medium and a Small left at a shop in Louisville. PM me if you want more details.

Thanks for all of the help guys!
Awsome! that is sweet price too.. I am going to put my dollar on the board and say "you wont sell the medium to get a small." You may sell the med to get a whole different boat. Do not let these ppl tell you that you need to be Mr. Brawny to throw down. Skinny dudes rip it. The key to play boating (IMHO) is to let the flow huck you around and melt with the current. Go with the flow and use fine movements and edge control not bone head strength. Also, let your natural style shine through. If there is a smile on your face youre doing it right.