Old 02-03-2010   #11
Groveland, California
I can't find a store locally that stocks the Coleman oven, but mail order there are quite a few. (Wal Mart, Target, Cabellas, Amazon) Coleman Camp Oven: Sports & Outdoors

Here is a lightweight backpacking version I came across:

Bemco Backpacker Ovens

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #12
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by HPMG View Post
It will be used on both a box stove, and a Coleman Expedition 2 burner (bought after reading your reviews, and love it!) I assume it will not work well on the box stove because the heat shield/insulator needs to drop below the bottom of the stove cooking surface?
Right- With the thermometer knob in view through the top opening, the Outback Oven fabric goes about 2-3 inches below the bottom of the pan supplied. Even with the heat diffuser and pan support in place, it is still too long for a box-type stove with full-width grill.

You could use a deeper pot, but to attach the thermometer there needs to be a hole in the center. Most nonstick pot sets have combo frypan lids that you'd not want to drill a hole in. Seems like I used the smaller-size Outback Oven with a black MSR cookset that had a lid with a center hole.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #13
Lancaster, California
The Bemco Backpacker Oven can be used on most stoves both backpacking and suitcase type. It can also be used on your home or R.V. stove top.

I have used it at the top of Mt. Whitney to bake pizza and backpacking to make brownies and many other baked foods. It is so easy to use just set it up and start baking just like your oven at home.
Brian_Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #14
Jenks, Oklahoma
camp chef top of stove bake kit

This may be the answer to your problem

DOCOVER Dutch Oven Dome - Camp Chef
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #15
Indian Hills, Colorado
I recently enjoyed consistently delicious bread and brownies cooked with a Dutch Oven using briquettes and parchment paper lining the DO. We did a few batches using coals from the fire which worked out pretty well too. Just sayin' don't discount the DO.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #16
Lancaster, California
I am sure the DO is very good just a little heavy and bulky.

Brian_Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote