Old 06-02-2008   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Wood in Boulder Creek

It's above the bike path Bridge that crosses the creek above elephant Buttress. It comes out of the bank on river right and looks to be about chin high. There is a line to get by it but if you came in there a little out shape it could be bad news.

I will help try and get it out

Old 06-02-2008   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Wasn't there Sunday. Shows you how quickly things can change.

What do we need to remove it? I wouldn't mind removing the wood on the left just above the old abutments either. It's pretty easy to get by, but sure could mess up someone's day.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Wasn't there Sunday. Shows you how quickly things can change.

What do we need to remove it? I wouldn't mind removing the wood on the left just above the old abutments either. It's pretty easy to get by, but sure could mess up someone's day.
It's easy to see from the road as there is a pull off above it. If I remember correctly the part next to the bank is all submerged so it may be a tough nut. You might be able to dislodge it by lassoing it and hooking it to the bumper of a truck.
Old 06-03-2008   #4
GE

I ran the 4mile down section tonight. There is a tree of decent size (12 inch diameter ?) that has blocked 3/4 of the creek. It is on the river left bank and has fallen perpendicular to the creek. It is located where the creek flows away from the road at the next road cut west of the elephant buttresses.
It's on a sharp right hand curve in the creek and due to this is difficult to see until you are on it. There is a 4 foot wide passage on extreme river right that misses this. However if you enter the shallow rapid on the left, expecting to stay left (which is normally where i have always ran this rapid) you will find yourself trying to catch a two boat, not all that well defined eddy right above it. For sure a sketchy situation. As the water comes up this is going to be even more difficult. If i was running this section for the first time this year, or if i jumped on at higher water, i would want to take a look at this before running it and strongly suggest you do just that - I believe this is the same tree Dave mentioned in his post in this thread, It is near the old bridge abutment, and you can see it from the hwy if you look way back around the curve.
GE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #5

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
I'd Help Out

I'd be willing to help get this out. I have mixed feelings about removing wood but in a case like this (heavily impacted area, high use) it needs to go. I can contribute a chainsaw but it doesn't sound like a job for a saw. I could help out Thurs or Fri evening please give me a call if you are going for it and need help. I can organize it if nobody else wants to, just pretty busy this week. 720-352-4796

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE View Post
tree of decent size (12 inch diameter ?) that has blocked 3/4 of the creek. It is on the river left bank and has fallen perpendicular to the creek. It is located where the creek flows away from the road at the next road cut west of the elephant buttresses.
It's on a sharp right hand curve in the creek and due to this is difficult to see until you are on it. There is a 4 foot wide passage on extreme river right that misses this. However if you enter the shallow rapid on the left, expecting to stay left (which is normally where i have always ran this rapid) you will find yourself trying to catch a two boat, not all that well defined eddy right above it. For sure a sketchy situation. As the water comes up this is going to be even more difficult. If i was running this section for the first time this year, or if i jumped on at higher water, i would want to take a look at this before running it and strongly suggest you do just that - I believe this is the same tree Dave mentioned in his post in this thread, It is near the old bridge abutment, and you can see it from the hwy if you look way back around the curve.
This Tree needs to be removed in a proper way, it is in a really bad spot. A group of us ran two laps from four-mile last night. The first time we walked it, which I would suggest, and the second time we ran it, but all got stuck on the shallow rocks resulting in an ugly boat damn.

This tree will catch someone off guard.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
I've got some time around noon to go check this out. Any one else available? The tree I was referring to, has been there for years on the left bank. did it shift, or is this something new.

If anyone wants to work on this today, give me a call.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE View Post
I ran the 4mile down section tonight. There is a tree of decent size (12 inch diameter ?) that has blocked 3/4 of the creek. It is on the river left bank
This has me a bit confused. The tree I was talking about is coming out of the bank river right. But is located where you described above Elephant buttress.
Old 06-05-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
I've got some time around noon to go check this out. Any one else available? The tree I was referring to, has been there for years on the left bank. did it shift, or is this something new.

If anyone wants to work on this today, give me a call.
I'm planning to meet up with some folks around 5 this afternoon to run 4mile down. If there is tree removal work, I could probably help out around then...
Old 06-05-2008   #10

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Cheyenne,

Mind if I throw on with you guys tonight? I think I was on the poudre with you this last weekend.

Matt

Tags
boulder, boulder creek