Old 04-27-2009   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
What goes in a pin kit?

I was reading the write up for the upper taos box and it states to bring a pin kit. What are the essentials that should go in one?

D. Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #2

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
2 pieces of webbing (6ft, 10ft)
2 4mm prussics
2 pullys
minimum of 3 beaners
(ascendors and belay device if you're in a gorge)

more importantly you need to know how to use what is in there. you should take a swift water rescue class if you're not quite sure how to use this gear in rescue scenarios.

Old 04-28-2009   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Also, a pin kit is practically useless without Spectra (high strength) rope.

And I agree with xkayaker13. The Upper Taos Box is deceptively dangerous; with sieves and high pin potential, and you have long stretches where the Box has no easy emergency exit. If you're considering getting in there, I would highly recommend that you have a high degree of comfort using these tools via a swiftwater course.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have 250 ft of static rope (1/2), 2 pulleys, 4 prussik's (6mm), 3 or 4 biners, 4 loops of webbing, and the little picture sheet since I'll probably not remember when I have to do one, how to do one (I didn't this spring, and I took a rescue class in September - duh!). I also carry a micro-pulley, 4 mm prussik, biner, and loop webbing in my pfd. Hubby carries the same, between us we have a mini-pin kit with the spectra rope in my waist throw bag.
Old 04-28-2009   #5

I would add a small headlamp to that. It's nice to have when you're pushing dusk on afterwork runs and shit hits the fan.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #6

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbratt View Post
I would add a small headlamp to that. It's nice to have when you're pushing dusk on afterwork runs and shit hits the fan.
That's a sweet idea, I carry a flashlight always in my toolbox, but a headlamp is so much more useful.
Old 04-28-2009   #7

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
add an extra knife. Some thing that will cut webbing under tension. I have had the cut a main prussick once pulling a bucket boat off a rock, there was no way to release the system with out destroying the raft, instead I just dissembled everything except the main pulley and prusick, uncoiled the rope, cut the prusick and let the rope through the system. Not ideal, but its crazy what crashing water will do to a even a small kayak.

If you are in a kayak, I would get extra prussicks instead of assenders, add a 20ft section of 1/2 webbing aka super tape. often 6 and 10 foot sections of webbing are not enough to tie off rocks, last time I unpinned a boat all we had to tie off was a boulder size of a van.

a unpin kit is useless unless you know how to use it. I have seen people with them that dont even know how to use them, make a possible rope hazard in the river. Practise a basic Z-drag, learn to tie a water knot, bowlin, figure 8, clove hitch, in the dark. If you can master those 3 knots, and 1 hitch, and the z drag you will be able to make 7:1, releasable systems, etc...

I recommend "Self Rescue" its a falcon guide, it is specifically for climbers, mostly aid climbers, but the information is invaluable. Covers everything from pulley systems to multi rope carriage systems. Or go find a aid climber friend, buy him a King Cobra and have him show ya some tricks, you can tell who's a climber when the unpin kit comes out....
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #8

Boulder, Colorado
I think that the sheet is a good idea but maybe you should practice a bit more, if you buddy is in trouble you don't want to have to look up how to set up a z-drag.
Also the 250 ft is for a raft right? for a kayak 75 feet should be enough.
I would also put the head light in a first aid kit along with other supplies.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgosn View Post
buy him a King Cobra and have him show ya some tricks
out of context, this is horrifying.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #10

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@cu View Post
I think that the sheet is a good idea but maybe you should practice a bit more, if you buddy is in trouble you don't want to have to look up how to set up a z-drag.
Also the 250 ft is for a raft right? for a kayak 75 feet should be enough.
I would also put the head light in a first aid kit along with other supplies.
-Tom
Um, that's exactly what we were doing. 6 months off and my brain wasn't working. Spring freshener, yard practice! Plus, crisis's and adrenaline do weird things to people's body and mind. I'd rather be able to glance at the sheet, and start setting up right away. One less thing to have to figure out, there's enough going on in a rescue to waste brain function on that. One mis-try and the stress and adrenaline would go way up. Lastly, you don't know who might be using it, and they may need it. Be prepared, practice, and don't be afraid to use your tools, including a cheat sheet.

Yup, 250 ft is for a loaded raft. My waist belt might do a day-trip raft, or definitely a cat. But not if it is a far pull due to pin location, anchor point, etc.