Old 04-25-2004   #21

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you're taking never-evers, hopefully they'll be riding on rafts rather then paddling into the maw of Skull and Sock-it-to-me! A good place to get cheap, quality PFDs is to call the rafting outfitters along the route and see if they've got any old PFDs that they're selling off. Usually you can buy a used Type V PFD for about $15 to $25, depending on the condition, which is quite a deal considering that they're about $100 new. I know that Greg at Timberline Tours may have some to sell. He can be reached at 970-390-3020. I've also picked up good, used gear from Lakota. Sometimes outfitters will have other gear like wetsuits, booties, splash jackets and so forth.

If you want Type III PFDs for kayaking (or just more comfort), try the BOC or other places that have kayaking lessons sometimes they sell off used gear.

If you don't want to buy the gear, some outfitters will rent to you for the weekend, if they don't expect to be too busy that they need it for their own clients. There's also a place in Fruita in the train car by the dinosaur museum (south side of I-70) where you can probably rent the PFDs and other gear.

Before you buy, just remember to check out the PFD labels and make sure they're still legible and check the PFDs to make sure they are in good condition (no tears or holes). Let me know if you need raft support. Have a good trip!

--Andy

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004   #22

sward(and everyone else)-

P-vests should be ok, as above where it says "Special use device-type V PFD intended for boaters/rescuers specifically trained in its use" it also says "Floatation aid- type V pfd, intended use: paddling vest"
So, it has the magic work "paddling".

As Mark said in his Apr. 21 post, that designation is in the first couple of lines on the label. We were looking at the 7th and 8th lines when we found boater/rescuers.

According to Mark, all Lotus Jackets except the Lowrider should have the word "paddling" at the top of the label and therefore are ok.

So, in summary- If you can find one of the words "paddling", "whitewater", or "kayaking" on the Coast Guard label of your Type I, III, or V lifejacket which is properly sized and in good condition, you are ok.

KO

ken_olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005   #23

Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
lmao, Ive seen those rangers let some kayakers go down the river with cut up milk jugs and duct tape as a spare paddle, lmfao

However, I will take credit for changing one rule, lol, i had a permit but decided to hike into little d. (cut the flat out) The regs said we must "allow" rangers to inspect boats but it didnt say we had to let them do it at the put in. So as long as we ran into them we had to let them inspect, hehe. I know what a bastard. Ranger Rick was at the takeout sidearm and all, asked if we were the guys parked at the ampitheteare, yes its a beutiful tamerisk filled canyon we hiked down, yes I said we were, he asked for permit which I had , but ID was at put in hehe, so the guy waited a bit said dont do it again and left. Doh! the next year the regs were changed. FYI hiking into little d is popular poaching trail which is why we were stopped.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #24

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Westwater Ranger

I don't care what you lilly waving granola heads think. Don't cut Alvin slack. He may know the canyon better than anyone. He may be dedicated. I respect the difficulty of his job. He may have forgotten more than I'll ever know but that dosen't mean that he's not a jack ass. He's not professional. We're cool and he has hassled us. We had to plead with him one time because he thought we were a pirate trip and we weren't. I deal with pricks like him at work day in and day out so the last thing I need on my leisure time off is his crap. Really! I'm sure there'll be a backlash because of my words but I stand by my them. It sure was nice last summer when we didn't deal with him. Things went so smooth.
tboe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #25

East Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Go TIMBO 101

GO GET 'EM TIMBO!

TIMBO + ALVIN THE RANGER = A LONG DRAWN OUT CHECK IN AT THE PUT IN

brocolliboy is offline   Reply With Quote